ABOUT THE MACEWAN CONFERENCE AND EVENT CENTRE
Conveniently located just minutes from downtown at the University of Calgary, the MacEwan Conference and Event Centre(MCEC) is one of Calgary’s top event facilities. Our versatile venue offers more than 40,000 square feet of meeting and event space. The versatility of our rooms and spaces -- which include the MacEwan Hall and Ballroom -- allows for creative solutions for your next conference, meeting, wedding, or special event. Our rooms can be easily transformed to turn a simple space into your big idea. Our top chefs prepare unique, fresh, and gourmet cuisine to produce a memorable occasion.
The MCEC is one of the businesses managed by the Students' Union (SU), and so all revenue from the centre goes directly to supporting University of Calgary undergraduate students. The SU is one of the leading undergraduate student associations in Canada. We are a not-for-profit organization that works to ensure that University of Calgary undergraduate students have the best possible university experience through advocacy, representation, and providing valuable on-campus services and programs. We also manage several other businesses within the MacEwan Student Centre including a restaurant and bar, two concert venues, a convenience store, and a used bookstore and copy centre.
The MCEC offers all our employees a competitive, market-determined salary. Our benefits, though, tend to exceed the market. These include:
- Five weeks paid vacation, to start
- Unlimited paid sick time
- A six percent RRSP matching program
- Full health and dental benefits plus a health spending account
- A mission-driven culture that values work-life balance, diverse experiences, and kindness
People love working for the MCEC because we care about our employees and empower them to thrive and succeed. The result is a very low turnover and a long-serving staff who are passionate about what they do. If you're tired of being treated like a cog in a machine and want to do something that matters without sacrificing your home life, the MCEC might just be the right fit for you.
The Supervisor, Event Operations is a hands-on supervisory position for the MCEC. The primary function is to ensure that all clients receive top quality service and that all requirements for catering and room set-ups are executed and presented in a professional manner.
For this position, the hiring range is $47,000 to $53,000 and the offered salary will be negotiated based on a candidate's relative experience. As the MCEC is run as a not-for-profit organization, it is extremely unlikely that we will be able to offer a successful candidate a salary outside of this range.
- Plan, coordinate, and direct workflow of tasks to ensure all room set-ups and catering logistical requirements are met or exceeded for all catered functions and events.
- Participate in supervising team work, including training, performance management, and coaching staff on customer expectations and technical aspects of the space.
- Coordinate the requirements of the on-campus delivery and catering program.
- Ensure that the MCEC department meets operational compliance with relevant federal, provincial, municipal and university legal and policy requirements including but not limited to health and fire safety, emergency preparedness, responsible alcohol service, aerial lifts, food safety and the MCEC delivery vehicle.
- Ensure proper storage and maintain inventory controls related to event set-up and A/V equipment.
- Identify items and areas which require maintenance, submit tickets to the Facilities team and work with them to schedule a time for the work to be conducted.
- Provide summarized client feedback to the MCEC department with the goal of increasing the customer experience.
- Ensure all event spaces are maintained and cleaned.
- Prepare and organize directional and event related signage.
- Liaise with employees and customers to ensure all event logistics are met; troubleshoot as required to meet changing needs.
- Review and update all processes, procedures, and guidelines related to the operations area on an ongoing basis.
- Responsible to prepare for, open and/or close events, supervise staff during each phase of the event and ensure that rooms are set up for the next event.
- Assess quantity and quality of food items provided for service and communicate concerns to the kitchen in a proactive manner.
- Safely execute deliveries which require the use of MCEC delivery vehicle.
- Assist with administrative tasks where necessary, and perform other duties as assigned by the Manager, Event Operations.
- High school education with 3 to 5 years of hospitality experience, or a college diploma with 2 years of hospitality experience.
- A minimum of one year of supervisory or lead-hand experience working with a team is required.
- Previous experience ordering liquor and executing and reconciling bars for 20 to 500 persons would be considered an asset.
- A valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License is mandatory.
- Valid certification in WHMIS, First Aid and Proserve would be considered an asset. On-the-job certification provided for ProTect, Fall Protection and Lift Operator.
- Intermediate computer skills (MS Excel, Word) and the ability to use company issued iPad/iPhone to review daily documents and submit required reports.
- Proficiency in using a variety of catering and management software is required (Opera, All Seated, Formitize, 7Shifts,and Dropbox).
- Off-site catering experience is an asset.
- Experience in audio-visual equipment set-up and troubleshooting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain a professional manner and manage self well under pressure.
- Encourage staff development through coaching.
- Demonstrated team-orientation with equal ability to work well individually.
- Superior communication (verbal and written) and strong attention to detail and product improvement.
- Demonstrated planning, organizing and prioritizing abilities.
- Cultural sensitivity; ability to work effectively with a wide variety of customers.
For more information on the role, please consult the position description.
HOW TO APPLY
Please DO NOT apply through Indeed, and instead indicate your interest by emailing [email protected] with your resume and cover letter. We are accepting applications until September 22, 2023, or until we find the right person. We're hoping to interview candidates and make a decision in early May.
STATEMENT ON EMPLOYMENT EQUITY, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION
The Students’ Union is committed to ensuring that members of equity-deserving groups, from a broad range of communities, feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We strongly encourage qualified candidates from Black, Indigenous, and/or other racialized communities to apply. Qualified candidates who identify as 2Spirit and/or LGBTQIA+ or are otherwise marginalized on the grounds of gender expression, gender identity, and/or sexual orientation are also strongly encouraged to apply.
The Students’ Union welcomes applications from people with disabilities and believes strongly in accessibility in the work we do. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process – please advise us at any point and we will work with you to meet your needs while respecting your privacy as much as possible.
The Students’ Union is grateful to work on the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta, which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikuni, and Kainai First Nations), the Tsuut’ina First Nation, and the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Goodstoney First Nations). The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III. The University of Calgary is situated on land adjacent to where the Bow River meets the Elbow River, and the traditional Blackfoot name of this place is Moh’kins’tsis, which we now call the City of Calgary. The Students’ Union also recognizes that land acknowledgments are not enough. We need to pursue truth, reconciliation, decolonization, and allyship in an ongoing effort to make right with all our relations.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $47,000.00-$53,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-22