Quinte Health Care (QHC), located in south/central Ontario, is an integrated system of hospitals working with our partners to provide exceptional care. Our four hospitals: Belleville General Hospital, Trenton Memorial Hospital, Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital and North Hastings Hospital, offer high-quality, comprehensive health services to nearly 200,000 people throughout the region.
With fantastic restaurants, a thriving arts and culture scene, and more than 40 wineries, the Quinte region is an excellent place to live. The array of parks, picturesque beaches, golf courses, and waterfront trails, provide plenty of opportunity for outdoor adventure. This dynamic, growing community offers affordable housing in both urban and rural settings and is an easy commute to larger centres such as Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa and Montreal. Visit www.bayofquinte.ca to learn more about the region.
QHC’s vision is to provide exceptional and compassionate care and to be valued by our communities and inspired by the people we serve. We strive to enhance the quality and safety of care, create an exceptional safety experience, provide effective care transitions, and be an exceptional workplace. In applying to any of our careers, all candidates will promote a safe environment by informing their manager of any relevant issues related to patients, families or staff and maintain a focus on patient and staff safety in all aspects of duties performed.
This position is a Temporary Full-time position with an expected start date of October 2020 and anticipated end date November 2021.
The Patient Services Manager is a Regulated Health Professional who maintains responsibility for all aspects of patient care activities for an assigned corporate patient care service(s). The Patient Services Manager provides clinical & managerial leadership, direction and supports the interdisciplinary team members in the provision of optimum quality care to patients and their families/significant others.
This role promotes and facilitates evidence-based care across the care continuum to ensure a positive outcome for patients under the general direction of the Patient Services Director. This will be accomplished through the implementation and use of quality improvement, utilization management, risk management, perioperative and Health Quality Ontario standards, staff development and resource management strategies. The Patient Services Manager models and inspires the QHC corporate values and encourages the team to set unit goals that align with these values and strategic directions.
The Patient Services Manager is responsible for the In-patient Surgical Program, Orthopaedic Central Intake and Assessment Clinic, Fracture Clinic & Outpatient Total Joint Physiotherapy Clinic.
- Valid registration with a Professional Healthcare Regulating Body;
- 3 years of progressive and recent professional leadership;
- Minimum 5 years clinical experience in the clinical area of focus;
- Completed Baccalaureate Degree or actively pursuing; and
- Understanding of the key Health Services Funding Reform principles and performance requirements related to the Quality Based Procedures.
- Determines the appropriate resource requirements to meet the needs of the service through appropriate benchmarking & utilization management. Participates with the Director to develop corresponding operating and capital budgets. Monitors resource utilization and financial performance; and
- Provides oversight for the integrated funding model and bundled care services for total hip and knee arthroplasty patients.
Role and Responsibilities
- Directs team members in the implementation of Standards of Practice and ensures that appropriate standards are met which leads to positive patient outcomes;
- Provides leadership to the patient care team to ensure patient/family focused care within a coordinated integrated care planning model of care delivery through the development of integrated care maps based on practice guidelines;
- Acts as a resource to the team through clinical expertise and knowledge base related to the medical/clinical needs of patients. Incorporates nursing theories and research based practice to support clinical decision making. Assists in day to day problem solving within and across the services;
- Works with community partners to ensure the provision of timely care to meet the needs of the patient. Assists the team to manage risks, incidents, family/client complaints and discharge planning;
- Assists the team to develop, maintain and assume overall responsibility for continuous quality improvement, utilization management and risk management activities, including implementation of standards and tracking mechanisms;
- Provides guidance and direction in the discharge planning process and with the Team Leader of the service, provides support to the team;
- As a member of the service team, assists with the organization, planning and implementation activities of the service team;
- Promotes and maintains good interdepartmental relationships;
- Develops the master schedule for each area of the service in conjunction with the staff within the service;
- Supports and participates in the upgrading, implementation and maintenance of an integrated computerized hospital information system;
- Selects, hires, promotes, transfers, disciplines, terminates and manages the labour relations and payroll function for all staff members within the service;
- Assists the service team in using the performance appraisal program in order to evaluate and improve the performance of staff members and outcomes for client;
- Supports the professional development of staff including the provision of educational programs and participation in continuing education sessions;
- Determines the orientation needs of staff and coordinates the orientation program I conjunction with the service team;
- Ensures appropriate work schedules are developed and maintained;
- Maintains a presence wherever the services are provided across the corporation;
- Provides overall delegation of and support to, student programs assigned to the area and enlists the participation of staff in student preceptorship programs;
- Carries out all other patient care related duties as delegated;
- Works collaboratively with other Patient Services Managers and provides coverage (performs the duties) for those Managers as required; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Quinte Health Care is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all interested candidates for their response, however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Quinte Health Care is an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Our Recruitment process follows the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act in order to provide a fair and equitable process for all candidates. Applicants requiring accommodation through the recruitment/interview process are encouraged to contact the Human Resources Department at 613-969-7400 x2577 for assistance.
Physical Demands Analysis
- Required Occasionally – lifting and carrying average weight 20 pounds and max 50, pushing/pulling average 10-15 pounds and max 30 pounds, patient assist approx. 100 pounds
- Required Constantly – standing
- Required Frequently – walking, bending/stooping
- Required Occasionally – sitting, twisting/turning, bending, crouching/squatting, kneeling
- Required Rarely – balancing, climbing
- Required Frequently – forward shoulder movements, gripping/grasping, pinching, neck, elbow, shoulder, wrist and back normal range of motion
- Required Occasionally – fine finger movements, shoulder movements (up/down)
- Required Rarely – foot action