The Mustard Seed is a Christian humanitarian organization whose vision is to build community, grow hope and support change. Intentionally following Jesus Christ and partnering with the community, The Mustard Seed combats the root causes of poverty in Alberta and British Columbia working to create positive, lasting change in the lives of those we serve. The Mustard Seed provides basic services—food, clothing and housing, and support services—education and employment, to those living in poverty within Alberta and British Columbia.
Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), this position is accountable for the day-to-day leadership of the HR team, and ensuring operations are carried out smoothly and effectively. Responsible for developing HR strategies with the CHRO and providing sound advice to senior management on all related subjects. The HR Director must be an experienced professional with sound knowledge of all Human Resources disciplines coupled with the understanding and ability to support the faith culture of the organization. Must be able to manage programs, lead staff, and work collaboratively on strategic initiatives. The goal is to ensure that all HR needs of the company are being met and are aligned with all business objectives.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides support and direction for the team for the full cycle of HR disciplines including workforce planning, recruitment and selection, onboarding and orientation, compensation, benefits, performance management, health and safety, employee relations and separation.
- Promotes the culture of and adherence to TMS’ Faith Statement, Mission, and Employment Values.
- Provides direction to the HR Supervisor, team of HR Advisors (Business Partners), and Health and Safety at TMS; develop best practice issue reporting and resolution for all areas of protection under legislation.
- Re-engineers processes to ensure maximum efficiency and monitor adherence to internal policies and legal standards.
- Leads the development and expansion of a Learning Management
- Systems contents and training materials.
- Engages and influences management to support and implement HR initiatives across the organization which promote a unified culture.
- Oversees the investigation, management, and resolution of complex employee relation situations from origin to conclusion while minimizing organizational risk.
- Develops key business reports with detailed analytical data using HR metrics.
- Establishes quality standards and evaluates service against those standards
- Manages the development, maintenance, and implementation of human resource information systems (HRIS) projects.
- Actively participates in TMS committees/projects.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- BSc/BA in human resources, business administration or relevant field; CHRP designation an asset
- Proven experience in a senior HR role; thorough knowledge of human resource management principles and best practices.
- Values driven life and aligned with TMS philosophy.
- Recognized for strong people leadership; training, developing, and empowering of staff
- Strong championing and communication of organizational values and standards
- Strategic thinker and an effective decision maker
- Manages ambiguity well and possess strong problem-solving skills
- Diverse experience, e.g., non-profit, corporate, and/or public
- Excellent knowledge of employment legislation and regulations
- Diligent with strong business acumen
- Employment Security Check and cleared Driver’s Abstract prior to employment is required
- Downtown Calgary Monday to Friday 40 hour week with travel requirements
- Fast paced and demanding work environment
- Employment Security Check is required
- As The Mustard Seed is a Christian ministry, we require our employees to sign they will support and not detract from our Statement of Faith
- Must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer