Beard Winter LLP is proud to be recognized as a Top 10 Ontario Regional Law Firm by Canadian Lawyer magazine for 2021-22, and as one of The Globe and Mail’s Canada's Best Law Firms for 2023 with a special distinction in the practice area of Insurance Law.
Beard Winter is a multi-service, mid-sized law firm located in downtown Toronto, our unwavering commitment to clients is the foundation of our history since 1964. Recognized for our insurance defence litigation expertise, we act for many of Canada’s largest insurance companies. Best Lawyers and Lexpert recognize our lawyers in the areas of insurance law, insurance defence litigation, estates, trusts law and family law. Our employees are a key component of our success.
We are currently recruiting for a Billing Clerk to add to our accounting department.
Key Responsibilities are, but not limited to:
- Work closely with legal professionals to manage the manual and e-billing process from beginning to end;
- Review and edit pre-bills based on lawyers’ instructions, client specifications and firm policies and procedures;
- Review and edit accounts for accuracy and compliance to outside counsel guidelines;
- Prepare electronic bills in LEDES (Legal Electronic Data Exchange Standard) format and submit to client e-billing platform;
- Track status of bills submitted, identify issues and work with colleagues to address invoices failed on submission and deductions as they arise;
- Working closely with lawyers and other firm members to ensure proper submission and revising of budgets on e-billing platforms;
- Manage appeal process including review monthly deduction report, prepare and submit appeals to client and determine write-offs;
- Generate billing client/matter reports as required,
- Submit Online Budgets as required;
- Following up on outstanding WIP and WIP Issues;
- Work with external billing providers to resolve e-billing issues.
The ideal candidates will:
- Have at least 4-5 years of accounting experience
- Experience in a legal accounting environment is required;
- Extensive experience using, and advanced understanding, of Microsoft Office (including Word and Excel), financial software and legal accounting third party e-billing software such as TyMetrix, Serengeti and Bottomline Technologies;
- Have strong analytical skills and have an extremely high attention to detail;
- Be flexible, time conscious and deadline oriented;
- Have demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and is highly organized;
- Have considered themselves consummate professionals who work well under pressure;
- Have an ongoing commitment to learning and can adapt to change;
- Be capable of working very closely with a department, but is also capable of working well independently.
Beard Winter LLP adopts an inclusive and accessible environment and we are committed to providing support to applicants and firm members with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment, selection and assessment process, please contact Debbie Cymbron, Director, Human Resources.
Any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment verification.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- billing: 4 years (preferred)
- law firm: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON