TITLE: Passive House and High-Performance Building Standards Instructor
DEPARTMENT: Building and Engineering Technology
TYPE: Part-time, contract
LOCATION: Burnaby Campus, Metro Pointe Building (working remote for the time-being)
REPORTS TO: Director of Academic Affairs
Our green building design and construction program equips students with essential skills for pursuing a career in the fields of green building design, planning, construction and maintenance. Program curriculum will cover a contemporary range of building design strategies and technologies, with an emphasis on those that reduce environmental impacts and make local buildings healthier and more livable. The ideal candidate will be capable of teaching the following course:
- CCT250 - Passive House and High-Performance Building Standards: This course will explore the technical, economic, and policy elements of Passive House buildings and building standards. Students will study why and how these standards leverage building architecture to minimize energy consumption and improve thermal comfort. Key topics include the evolution of these standards, their costs and benefits, and address site-specific energy forms, envelope assembly performance, energy consumption assessment, energy efficient ventilation system options, high performance heating and cooling systems, the selection of external shading devices, and the use of solar and renewable energy.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE FOR PASSIVE HOUSE INSTRUCTOR:
- Degree or diploma in Architecture, Building Science, Engineering, Construction or related field of studies
- At least 2 to 5 years of experience in Building Design or Architectural Design related fields
- Previous instructional experience will be considered an asset
- Excellent knowledge in Passive House Design and Building Envelope Design
- Member of the Passive House Institute will be considered as an asset
- Familiarity of the Canada Green Building Council Integrated Design Process
- Able to demonstrate success in innovative or student-centered teaching techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient with educational technology including databases and online learning environments
- Excellent instructional capability
- Able to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs and applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, etc.)
- Strong Proficiency in English
- Prepare course material and exams, and have these available and approved as required by College policy
- Attend the classroom at the specified hours, teaching the approved curriculum and managing all student activities
- Hold weekly office hours for student consultations
- Respond to students and administration in a timely and professional manner
About Brighton College:
Brighton College is a vocational training college located in the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, near Vancouver. Our main campus is conveniently located in central Burnaby.
We deliver high-quality education and support in a serious learning environment for students with a variety of backgrounds and abilities in order to improve their lives for a brighter future.
The College is built on the belief that a technical and practical education with hands-on training is a solid foundation to prepare and guide students to enter their desired career path immediately after graduation.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested and you would like to apply, please apply by visiting our careers page here: https://brightoncollege.com/about-us/careers/ and e-mail your cover letter and CV with the e-mail title being “[Your Full-name]_Passive House Design Instructor 2021." In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to this team and why you’d be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
- Building Design and Architectural Design: 2 years (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19