Adoption Agents, under the direction of the Manager, Adoptions, will be primarily responsible for matching potential owners with appropriate shelter pets through the day to day execution of all adoption programs including but not limited to adoption, foster-to-adopt, adopt-from-foster, and facilitated adoptions.
- Conduct informative adoption meetings to facilitate the successful re-homing of animals
- Review all aspects of the adoption questionnaires and ensure appropriate matching and placement of animals into new homes
- Greet potential adopters and assist them with their search for their forever companion
- Counsel members of the public and adopters on species-specific animal welfare
- Including, but not limited to, husbandry, training, medical health, behaviour, and enrichment techniques
- Working closely with the other shelter departments to provide exceptional support to adopters
- Ensuring that kennel cards are maintained and up to date
- Ensure binders and digital profiles for adoptable animals are up to date with all adoption relevant information
- Handle base level client concerns related to adoption
- Elevate issues to the Manager, Adoptions when necessary
- Provide post-adoption follow up support to all adopters
- Be present for and provide adoption department information for shelter rounds as needed
- Be available when needed for issues or problems related to job duties and responsibilities
- Including on call hours if and when needed
- Maintenance and execution of various alternate rehoming programs
- Including, but not limited to, adopt-from-foster and facilitated adoptions
- Attend and take part in off-site adoption events and other events as they relate to Toronto Humane Society activities and programs
- Be an active and engaged member of the adoption team, ensuring to maintain a positive attitude and work ethic
- Placing animal welfare first and foremost in daily tasks and working as an integral member of the Toronto Humane Society team committed to achieving our organizational mission
- Maintain a professional appearance, demeanour, and attitude at all times.
- Attend and participate in workshops, seminars, and in-service training to further education, skills, and training.
- Be aware of and work within the regulations of all Toronto Humane Society policies and protocols
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the OHSA and its regulations, including understanding and adhering to the requirements of the Health and Safety Manual, and any other rules and regulations established by the Toronto Humane Society
- Work cooperatively with all volunteers and recognize the talent and commitment they bring to the Society
- Other Duties as required in the day to day operation of the Society
- Minimum one year’s experience in a customer service field
- Affection for animals, concern for their welfare, and strong knowledge of animal care and training Superior interpersonal skills including telephone manner that allow one to work effectively in a diverse environment.
- Must demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills
- Organized with meticulous records maintenance skills and attention to detail
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and manage conflicting demands
- Highly flexible with the ability to respond quickly in a dynamic and changing environment
- Ability to work individually as well as part of a team with minimal supervision and direction
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to adapt to new technology
- Flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Attendance and participation in training
- Operation of desktop computer and peripherals
- Interaction with public, employees, and management
- Working in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions
- Occasional overtime
- May involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of heavy to moderately heavy objects and materials
- Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, odors, noise extremes, hazardous materials, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, animal attacks, animal bites, disease, pathogenic substances, or rude/irate customers.
This position is a non-union position.
The Toronto Humane Society is a respectful and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Job Type: Part-time
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Animal Care: 1 year (Preferred)