WEST PARRY SOUND HEALTH CENTRE
JOB POSTING: SEIU Clerical 2019-212
HEALTH RECORDS DEPARTMENT
HEALTH INFORMATION SPECIALIST
Regular Full-Time Position
We are looking for a new team member! We are a team of dynamic inter-professionals that work in a challenging and exciting environment. Our team supports each other in meeting challenges and strives for continuous improvement and growth.
Our beautiful health centre is located on the shores of spectacular Georgian Bay, and our facility offers the best that both nature and technology can offer. We work in one of Canada’s most modern health care facilities and live in one of Canada’s top outdoor adventure destinations. You can get from desk to dock in 10 minutes!
Reporting to the Manager of Health Records and Admitting & Communications, the incumbent is responsible for the coding and abstracting of inpatient, chemotherapy, and day surgery records for the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) processing and will perform other duties associated with ensuring a complete health record for each patient. The incumbent will continuously promote coding data quality and participate in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI), support the efficient operation of the Health Records Department, ensuring that all legal, accreditation and hospital requirements are met, and contribute to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff, and visitors.
Hours of work will be Monday to Friday regular hours.
- Graduate of a recognized Health Information Management diploma program recognized by the Canadian College of Health Information Management (CCHIM);
- Membership in good standing with CHIMA;
- Minimum two years’ experience with ICD-10-CA and CCI, DAD and NACRS coding and abstracting with experience using Folio, in an acute care hospital setting;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with standards and requirements identified by Cancer Care Ontario on QPBs and Case Mix Grouping and ability to communicate related information to stakeholders;
- Demonstrated sound knowledge of current CIHI Abstracting Manual and CIHI Canadian Coding Standards;
- Demonstrated ability to remain current with changes in coding practices, Canadian Coding Standards, CIHI guidelines and principles regarding DAD/NACRS coding elements;
- Demonstrated excellent computer skills, including proficiency with MS Word and Excel and Med2020 abstracting system;
- Advanced knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology and medical terminology;
- Demonstrated strong understanding of various applicable legislative acts such as the Public Hospital’s Act, Mental Health Act, and PHIPA;
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and prioritization skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently in a busy work environment;
- Demonstrated ability to foster a positive working relationship;
- Demonstrated satisfactory attendance levels, work performance, disciplinary history and positive work references;
- Ability to work in a manner that exemplifies the core values of the West Parry Sound Health Centre: Compassion, Accountability, Rights and Responsibilities, Excellence, and Safety.
- Previous acute care hospital experience with coding inpatient records;
- Basic Crystal Report Writing knowledge;
- Meditech experience.
Please submit a resume with covering letter by November 25, 2019, quoting position SEIU Clerical 2019-212.
West Parry Sound Health Centre is committed to providing accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities to ensure equal participation. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes.
We thank all applicants who apply, but advise only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Personal information submitted will be used for the purposes of this competition only. Please be advised the WPSHC property is smoke-free.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent