Job Posting: Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator – 12-Month Maternity Leave Contract
Renaissance BioScience Corp., based in Vancouver, Canada, is a privately held, biological engineering company that develops innovative, market-ready, functional microorganisms for the global food, beverage, nutrition, biofuel, agricultural and pharmaceutical industries.
To help build our leading team, we aim to hire smart people who are self-starters and results driven. If you are a team player looking for an opportunity to grow your career in a fast-paced life sciences company, consider applying for the opportunity below today.
Renaissance is looking for a proactive and collaborative Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator to join our R&D team on a 12-month maternity leave contract basis. This role will be based out of our office located on the University of British Columbia’s main campus, in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the Chief Scientific Officer, the Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the effective utilization of laboratory resources (personnel, equipment, and time) to facilitate the efficient and successful execution of Renaissance’s R&D projects.
The Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator is also responsible for ensuring the smooth operation and coordination of day-to-day lab and office operations, office safety and project management.
Our ideal candidate would be a strong laboratory administrator with exceptional organizational and communication skills complemented by a scientific background. Knowledge and skills training in project management, specifically the development and utilization of project management systems is a strong asset.
Lab and Office Coordinator - Approximately 75% of the role
- Ensures all labs are functioning efficiently and safely according to good laboratory/ best practices, and that established SOPs are implemented and maintained
- Ensures all lab equipment needed is functioning, properly maintained and calibrated and maintains records for equipment use and preventative maintenance
- Maintains inventory, including documentation and archives, for microbiology culture collection, other R&D samples, laboratory notebooks, equipment, SOPs, etc.
- When required, liaises with third parties such as equipment and consumables suppliers, contractors, service companies, auditors, cleaning and waste management services, etc.
- Coordinates yeast strain shipments to and from external partners, collaborators, and all third parties, according to established SOPs
- Coordinates incoming and outgoing data from third-party laboratory testing of yeast and other samples.
- Generates certificates of quality analysis (COAs) and specification sheets from the specified data for various samples/products tested
- Responsible for the correct and timely inventorying, ordering, and reconciling of all lab and office supplies and equipment, including identifying cost saving opportunities
- Assists in tracking and reporting on lab expenditures for the purposes of establishing and maintaining R&D budgets
- Drives continuous improvement of the lab and its personnel through the identification, planning, implementation, and maintenance of efficient lab operations and communication
- When required, advises senior management—through both verbal and written reporting—on lab function, including both new initiatives and ongoing operations
- When required, provides administrative assistance to the CSO
- Facilitates the coordination of administrative offices with respect to operations, logistics, and information technology
- Manages phone line/voicemail system for the office and lab
- Receives distributes/send incoming and outgoing mail/parcels and couriers; identifies cost-effective/timely delivery methods
- Responsible for reviewing final timesheets for the lab staff to ensure they are accurate and complete
- Assists with the onboarding of new lab employees
- Oversees vacation and sick day leave for lab staff and maintains the lab calendar
- Other duties as required
Laboratory & Office Safety
- Develops, implements, and is responsible for Renaissance’s safety program including chemical, biological, hazardous materials, and general workplace safety
- Coordinates all WHMIS, safety, first aid, orientation, and other training
- Ensures Renaissance is meeting all regulations and codes with respect to safety including leading the Company’s Safety Committee
- Prepares and maintains all safety documentation (e.g. MSDS, EMP, SOPs, and hazard assessment etc.)
- Identifies and controls hazardous materials & ensures lab personnel's awareness of hazardous materials
- Conducts a monthly lab inspection, annual internal audits and follows up with audit deficiencies and lab incidents
- When required, advises senior management—through both verbal and written reporting—on lab and office safety
- Works with the CSO and CBDO to develop and consistently maintain a holistic understanding of the ongoing and forthcoming internal and external R&D projects, including scope, timing, and required resources and deliverables
- Employs project management tools and best practices to effectively manage multiple concurrent projects, each with multiple internal and external stakeholders and required resources
- Continually monitors project progress against up-to-date project plan to ensure internal and partner-driven project objectives, deliverables, timelines, and budgets are being met
- Works with CSO to develop and oversee a departmental budget as it relates to lab and scientific project management
- Monitors and reports on project success—both at the individual and departmental level—by identifying, capturing, and analyzing key performance indicators and cost metrics
- Regularly meets with the CSO, CBDO and Lead Science Team to update project progress and to proactively coordinate the modification of project plans as required to ensure timely and on budget project completion
- Proactively identifies and resolves project completion roadblocks when objectives, timeline and/or resources are altered or delayed
- Coordinates the timely and accurate reporting of project progress by key internal stakeholders (e.g. Lead Science Team) as required by the project plan. Ensures progress reports meet content requirements and RBSC standards.
- When required, assists CSO to collate project data and/or reports to provide high-level R&D updates internal and external stakeholders
Education & Experience Required
- BSc in a related field, and at least 4 year’s coordination experience in a research laboratory.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) training is an asset.
- GLP, QA/QC, and industrial lab management experience is an asset.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects, each with multiple internal and external stakeholders and required resources
- Experience managing a lab safety program
- Demonstrated understanding of how scientific R&D departments integrate and collaborate to meet R&D and commercial objectives.
- Demonstrated success in identifying, planning, implementing and maintaining operational management systems so as to facilitate the efficient operation of an R&D laboratory.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and present in English; clearly express ideas in written and oral communications.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining and evaluating project results.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting, problem solving and critical thinking including.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to track and report on project success—both at the individual and departmental level—by identifying, capturing, and analyzing key performance indicators and cost metrics.
- Demonstrated ability to track and report on a departmental budget.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workload and allocate time/resources accordingly.
- A strong work ethic to coordinate and complete individual and teamwork under tight deadlines in a fast paced collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement policies, SOPs, and GLP initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and coordinate excellent records for all lab operations functions including lab notebooks, inventory, equipment, maintenance, waste disposal, reagents, culture collections, sample records, specification sheets, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and in a team setting; strong self-starter work ethic/attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change, adapt and thrive in an entrepreneurial, growing, and changing work environment.
- Demonstrated success effectively leading and mentoring junior scientific staff to accomplish goals and celebrate their successes.
This is a full-time 12-month contract role. General workdays are Monday to Friday, with the requirement for flexibility to work weekends (for scientific experiments), when needed.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and a brief cover letter indicating why you feel you are a fit for this role today. Please indicate Lab and Scientific Project Coordinator in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants who apply. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, thank you.
About Renaissance BioScience Corp.
Renaissance BioScience Corp. is a privately held, global, industry leading yeast technology company based in Vancouver, Canada. Renaissance develops yeast-based platform technologies to solve industrial efficiency and consumer health problems in the food, beverage, alcohol, biofuel and pharmaceutical industries. The wholly owned commercial subsidiaries of Renaissance BioScience Corp. include Renaissance Yeast Inc., which commercializes H2S-preventing wine yeast; Renaissance Ingredients Inc., which commercializes acrylamide-reducing baker’s yeast; and Bright Brewers Yeast Inc., which commercializes beer yeast technologies. Detailed information about the Renaissance group of companies can be accessed at renaissancebioscience.com.
Job Type: Full-time