This role operates in English.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cooperators General Insurance company, Sovereign Insurance believes your experience matters. This is our promise to not only our clients but to our employees as well, because we know the strength of our company starts with our people. The smart, curious and collaborative people who bring their whole heart and passion to work each day. But you can’t pour from an empty cup; we take care of the well-being of our people so that they are inspired to protect Canadian businesses and the lives, families and communities we impact. Join us and begin shaping your experience at Sovereign.
The Sovereign Insurance is looking for a dynamic individual to fill the position of Manager, Commercial Lines Underwriting based in Toronto. The successful candidate will oversee underwriting activities of the Property/Casualty and Automobile lines of business to ensure compliance with corporate underwriting philosophies and corporate profitability objectives. Managing and leading the development and maintenance of mutually beneficial business partnerships will be key, as well as being adept at analyzing risks and providing creative solutions. Strong communication, problem solving, and strategic thinking skills are essential as is your enthusiasm and ability to provide exceptional custom service to influence and inspire others.
What you’re responsible for:
- Developing, implementing and ensuring that the commercial underwriting strategic plans and associated budgets are met.
- Providing direction, guidance and technical support to underwriters, while monitoring the quality of business written through regular audits and referrals.
- Underwriting of large and/or complex accounts or programs while liaising with both internal and external business partners as required.
- Implementing and analyzing technological change and impact on workflow, productivity and staff.
- Coaching and developing your team, recruiting and selecting talent, managing and rewarding performance, and fostering an agile culture to deliver on strategic objectives.
What to expect:
- You will travel occasionally.
- You handle sensitive information while maintaining confidentiality.
- You will provide support to clients who are experiencing a personal or financial loss. A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- You use strong judgement and interpersonal skills to build relationships internally and externally and work effectively with people at all levels of the organization
To be successful:
- You thrive on leading and motivating others to embrace accountability to deliver our exceptional client experience and achieve results.
- You ensure you and your team’s day to day actions are in harmony with the company’s purpose, vision, and values even when challenged.
- You take responsibility for guiding others through changing conditions and creating a supportive culture that encourages the exploration of new opportunities or innovations.
- You value and encourage others to have cooperative and collaborative dialogue because diverse perspectives offer more creative and productive solutions.
To join our team:
- Post-secondary education in business administration, or similar, preferred.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in a Commercial underwriting leadership position with an emphasis on complex, multi-line accounts.
- Exposure to development and implementation of continuous improvement to system, processes, and products.
- Experience in cross-border and international placements considered an asset.
- Possession of CIP designation is required.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
- A comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive salary, bonus, paid time off, pension and benefits.
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and flexible work options.
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team who inspire each other to explore and achieve what’s possible.
- An organizational commitment to sustainability and charitable giving; positively impacting the social, environmental and economic well-being of Canadian businesses, families and communities.
Job Type: Full-time