Through a patient and family centered approach, the Registered Practical Nurse provides holistic, high quality and safe care to patients within the scope of practice identified by the College of Nurses of Ontario, evidence-based nursing practices and the standards set by Mackenzie Health. Registered Practical Nurses provide care to patients with complex care needs that are well defined and established, who have predictable outcomes and manageable responses. As a member of and in collaboration with the interprofessional care team, the Registered Practical Nurse contributes to creating a world-class health experience for patients and their families with every interaction based on professionalism, the Hospital’s Commitment to Caring and Mackenzie Health’s values of excellence, leadership and empathy.
- Practical Nurse Diploma from an approved nursing program preferred.
- Current Certificate of Registration in the General Class with the College of Nurses of Ontario required.
- If graduated prior to 1995, medication administration certificate from an approved community college required.
- Recent completion of a physical assessment course preferred.
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification
- Member of the Registered Practical Nurses’ Association of Ontario (RPNAO) preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year recent nursing experience working as a Registered Practical Nurse in an acute care setting within the past 3 years preferred.
- Experience working with the elderly and geriatric population, preferred.
- Proven clinical experience with patient-focused care, including strong patient assessment, care planning, patient education and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a sound knowledge of English and an ability to deliver information effectively to others. Speaking a second language is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills with an ability to work effectively with others including patients and families.
- Demonstrated strong decision making, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality care and safety with an ability to exercise sound professional judgment and use best practice guidelines and evidence based practice.
- Proven organizational skills with an ability to manage workload effectively in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to effectively address and resolve issues including conflict in a productive and respectful manner.
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively within an interprofessional team.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
- Computer proficiency with experience working with electronic medical records.
- Familiarity with the Regulated Health Professions Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, and the Standards of Practice of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and adjust to new or unexpected events in practicing in accordance with the CNO’s Ethics Practice Standard.
- Practices in accordance with the CNO’s Confidentiality and Privacy-Personal Health Information Practice Standard and adheres to the policies and procedures of Mackenzie Health.
- Must have physical strength, flexibility and endurance required to perform the role based on an assessment conducted by the Occupational Health and Safety Department.
- Proven attendance record.
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Effectively uses empathy in interactions with others.
- Demonstrates behaviours consistent with Mackenzie Health’s Commitment to Caring and values – Excellence, Leadership and Empathy.
- Commitment to providing an exceptional experience for staff and clients within a challenging and exciting health care environment.
- This position is being represented by OPSEU Service
- Primary location at Humber River – York/Finch location however; may be assigned to Mackenzie Health-Main site location
Mackenzie Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.