Farm Manager - Coldstream, British Columbia
Vegpro International Inc.
Are you an experienced leader and manager with a passion for planning, organizing, and directing conventional and organic farm operations, ideally of leafy greens? Are you looking for a fulfilling career with an organization that rewards success and encourages teamwork and high standards?
Vert Nature, Coldstream BC, a subsidiary of Vegpro International is seeking an experienced Farm Manager with a strong background in horticulture, farm operations, quality, and productivity.
Vegpro International Inc. is a recognized leader for the innovation of its agricultural production of salad and vegetable processing, supplying our customers year-round from coast to coast in Canada and in the United States. Our brand is packaged under the "Fresh Attitude" label, and our pre-washed baby leaf lettuces and salad kits are available in several major grocery chains.
Vegpro International Inc. is a continuously growing Canadian company with the head office in Quebec, Canada and has nearly 1,000 employees in four farming and production/packaging facilities located in Sherrington, QC, Coldstream, BC, and Belle Glade, Florida. The company offers a dynamic work environment and exciting challenges in farming in each of these three regions. There are over 30 farm employees at our Coldstream, BC operation.
The successful candidate for the position of Farm Manager in Coldstream, BC will be an entrepreneurial individual and a self-starter with a strong work ethic and the ability to adapt to a fast paced, dynamic work environment. The Farm Manager will be directing a team for all daily operations from: Land preparation, Planting, Growing, Harvesting, Irrigation and Netting. Their expertise will be utilized in order to attain the highest possible yields, quality and profitability from the farm operations.
The candidate will be able to work independently and collaboratively performing multiple-level projects in conjunction with daily activities. They will be organized, labor-efficiency-minded, a team player and have excellent communications skills, being bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
- Direct and coordinate the overall operations of the farm
- Manage a team of regular and seasonal employees including 2-3 supervisors and approximately 30 employees. Responsible for leadership, hiring, training and coaching in a harmonious working climate, while maximizing employee morale and productivity in collaboration with the HR team
- Retain, develop, select and motivate the farm team
- Analyse and interpret historical data to ensure practical and timely operational decisions are made
- Produce the highest quality raw product possible
- Advise on problems, requisition equipment and materials, and approve work schedules
- Identify/implement crop management practices to enhance quality of production and evaluate current and new production practices
- Scale all operations of the business to ensure the proper utilization of human capital resources
- Cultivate positive relationship with our suppliers and customers in the Farming Community
- Ensure all work is performed in accordance with safety policies and regulations to promote and provide a safe working environment
- Create reports on time, equipment, materials, costs and production; keep records and prepare estimates of needs
- Perform routine inspections on, and direct the repair and maintenance of farm buildings
Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in an agricultural field of study, such as agronomy or equivalent experience
- 10 years experience in farm management
- Experience in growing organic product is an asset
- Hands-on experience with tractors and farm equipment
- People management/Leadership experience
- Experience with Temporary Foreign Worker Programs
- Understanding of payroll and basic accounting practices
Skills and Requirements
- Passion for Agriculture and fresh produce and a strong interest in promoting agriculture with a focus on producer’s success
- Willingness to work flexible hours is required during high seasonal workloads
- Being bilingual English and Spanish is an asset
- Ability to identify equipment improvements, changes and/or replacements
- Must have a mechanical aptitude with irrigation and harvesting knowledge
- Ability to perform and oversee operation and maintenance of the equipment and irrigation systems
- Ability to manage a farm with KPIs to ensure efficient profitable operations and results
- Results oriented and very organized, with strong attention to detail
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Negotiation and business skills including the ability to deal with suppliers
- Team player, enthusiastic, self-motivated and determined
- On site presence to oversee daily operations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Has a valid driver's license and passport
- Farm Manager will need to be available for training in our current division in Canada (Quebec region) and/or in United States (Florida)
- Competitive salary and annual bonus
- Extended benefits (Medical/Dental)
- Paid vacation
- Optional RRSP contributions (matching employer contributions)
For more information about our company: www.vegpro.com and http://attitudefraiche.com
Job Type: Full-time
- management: 10 years (Preferred)