MDS is a world leader in gas turbine test solutions, but what does that mean? If you’ve ever taken a plane for vacation, gone on a cruise or even turned a light on in your home, chances are the engine on the boat, plane and power generator was tested in a facility designed and built by MDS. We are industry leading Aerospace Engineering firm currently servicing some of the world’s leading companies in more than 15 countries worldwide including Rolls-Royce, Siemens, General Electric and Pratt & Whitney.
As we grow, we are looking to add Systems Engineer to this world-class team.
What’s the position about?
The Systems Engineer is responsible for ensuring that MDS effectively and efficiently meets all project’s technical specifications and requirements. The Systems Engineer (SE) reports to the Director of Engineering (Mechanical or Measurement) and represents the Project Manager (PM) in controlling the overall project's technical effort. The SE role is multidisciplinary as well as interdisciplinary.
What you will be doing:
- Interpret contract technical requirements and use these to develop project specifications, work breakdown structures, requirements matrices, and system level project plans;
- Maintain accountability through design, procurement, manufacturing, assembly, installation, commissioning and testing activities by maintaining tight liaison throughout their completion.
- Develop execution strategies and communicate technical direction for the project's entire technical effort to achieve objectives as defined by Management. Monitor activities and generation of deliverables required to achieve the objectives and ensure any roadblocks are resolved.
- Plan and manage the interfaces between the various subsystems that make up the project scope of work as well as between the various internal/external stakeholders on the individual subsystems.
- Monitor test systems schedule and technical compliance. Identify, assess and analyze, support the design team with any related risks, non conformances, change orders or concerns;
- Integrate multiple disciplines/systems to achieve the best overall product and/or service within the project's technical, cost and schedule constraints. Review engineering team designs to ensure conformance and own multidisciplinary general assembly drawings and documentation.
- Participate in the vendor selection process and liaise with the procurement Point of Contact to monitor vendor progress
- Plan the high level engineering deliverable structure to support the smooth interface with the company ERP system and procurement process.
- Liaise with the production planner to track, monitor and manage the progress of work orders for materials ad subcontracts through the ERP system
- Travel to client sites anywhere in the world to attend design reviews and monitor progress at critical point of installation and commissioning.
Who are we looking for: *
- Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical or Chemical engineering degree or equivalent from a recognized university or college
- Professional Engineer Designation or eligibility is preferred
- Minimum 7 years of experience within the following areas:
- Product design and analysis
- Systems engineering and integration
- Project management
- Design supervision and leadership
- Demonstrated design experience in at least three (3) of the following areas:
- Mechanical static and dynamic systems (including rotor-dynamics)
- Industrial process piping systems
- Aerodynamic and acoustics design
- Applications and software development
- Medium and low voltage electrical systems
- Electro-mechanical systems
- Instrumentation and control systems
- Environmental engineering
- Manufacturing, fabrication, production, and assembly
- Facilities planning and construction
- Experience in working in diverse teams of in-house personnel and/or with outside vendors/subcontractors on multi-disciplinary design/engineering projects
- Must be able to travel international, for periods of 1-2 weeks, 3-4 times per year
What will help you succeed:
- Proven leadership skills
- Strong communication skills, written and oral;
- Strong skills in critical and lateral thinking
- Fluent in English (Reading/Writing/Speaking), second language is an asset
What's in it for you?
We believe in and encourage open and transparent communication across the organization so every year we invite our people to a bi-annual Town Hall Meeting.
We are passionate about our people, business, customers and community so we demonstrate the utmost care, respect and accountability for everything we do.
No matter who you are or where you’re from, we welcome new ideas and fresh perspectives. We believe in teamwork. We’re better, together.
On top of that, MDS offers the following:
- Canada’s Best Managed companies (Platinum member)
- Employee bonus program
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Health spending account
- Fitness Membership Reimbursement
- Positive and flexible work environment
- Opportunity for career advancement
- Strong focus on learning and development
- Company events including family holiday party, employee events, executive - led coffee talks, team gatherings, and so much more
- Participation in community events such as HOPE volleyball, Dragon Boat Festival, Soccer and Hockey Tournaments and other fundraising activities
- Inclusive workforce
MDS is an equal opportunity employer. MDS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, mental or physical disability, religion, sex or national origin or ethnic origin. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates who meet or exceed our requirements, are legally eligible to work in Canada and do not require sponsorship will be contacted.
Please visit our web site https://mdsaero.com to view all open positions. Telephone calls not accepted from candidates or agencies
Job Type: Full-time