Western Forest Products is seeking Seasonal Labourers to join our Saanich Forestry Centre in Saanichton, B.C. This is an exciting opportunity to learn about the tree growing side of Western Forest Products and gain some great hands on experience in a nursery setting. On the job training is provided to the successful candidates.
The typical work week will be 40 hours from Monday to Friday on a seasonal basis (August - May). Part time and some weekend positions may be a possibility.
Applications will be accepted online or in person until filled.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Seasonal Labourers will support our team by performing various manual labour duties in both departments - the Nursery and Orchard.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Planting, mulching and otherwise caring for trees
· Cone harvesting using a ladder
· Maintaining infrastructure such as fences, ditches and irrigation systems
· Hand weeding
· Harvesting vegetative material with hand clippers
· Collecting and applying pollen
· Working in a team environment to extract seedlings from greenhouses
· Handling, quality grading and packaging of seedlings
· Lifting and carrying of full seedlings boxes for transport
· Greenhouse end-of-season clean-up
· Prepping and sowing (planting) of seeds
· Bending and lifting of blocks of growing seedlings
· Thinning extra seedlings out of growing blocks
· Greenhouse maintenance
WHO YOU ARE:
· Excellent safety record and strong work ethic
· Demonstrated commitment to safety
· Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and with minimal supervision
· Desire to participate in an organization committed to continuous improvement
· Accountable and dependable
· Adaptable to work in all weather conditions
· Capable to sustain repetitive and physical tasks for 8 hours
· Capable to lift up to 23 kg (50 lb) unaided
· Positive attitude
· Open to learning new skills
· Clean and organized
The following would be considered assets:
· Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
· Grade 12 or equivalent
· Mobile equipment certification/experience such as forklift and manlift
· First aid training/WHMIS preferred
· Previous greenhouse/orchard or landscaping experience experience
ABOUT SAANICH FORESTRY CENTRE:
The Saanich Forestry Centre operation, established in 1964, is the start of everything Western does. The facility on East Saanich Road features seed orchards and a forest-seedling nursery; it produces 6.6 million seeds and 3.3 million seedlings annually. The seeds are used to grow douglas fir, western red cedar, western hemlock, yellow cypress and sitka spruce. The seedlings are used in Western’s operations around the coast.
ABOUT WESTERN FOREST PRODUCTS:
Western Forest Products is a Canadian forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. We are committed to providing the most sustainable building products on the planet. With operations in the coastal region of British Columbia and Washington State, Western Forest Products meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering sourced from our secure access to a variety of coastal BC tree species. Our progressive approach to safe and sustainable forestry practices and large investment in manufacturing ensures the health and prosperity of our forests, communities and business for generations to come.
We provide equal opportunity in recruitment, career development, promotion, training and rewards for all employees.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.60 per hour