Role: Copywriter/ Communications Associate
Reports to: Creative Director
Mayk Ideas is looking for a creative and versatile Copywriter/Communications Associate to join our Creative Services team, where we pride ourselves on crafting exceptional stories. Driven by high standards of editorial and creative excellence, you will create original content to support marketing, product and other company-wide initiatives for a variety of clients and industries, as well as our own brand. You are a passionate and strategic storyteller, who understands the power of strong, engaging copy to differentiate brands and meet business objectives. With a sharp eye for detail, you champion the highest level of quality, ensuring copy is immaculate and stringent standards are upheld. Copy errors and carelessness make you cringe.
An ambitious self-starter who thrives in fast-paced environments, you will also support a range of communications initiatives, from social media community management to media relations to content strategy development. Digitally savvy, you are well-versed in social media best practices.
Eager to make an impact, you are methodical enough to meet high expectations, yet agile enough to go with the flow and switch gears on the fly. A conceptual thinker, you welcome new challenges and are keen to pitch fresh, inventive ideas.
Who are we? We are a growing marketing agency based in Toronto and that said, working here means having to do a bit of everything and a lot of something. Our clients are challenger firms/brands. We strive to create ground-breaking work that drives sales on every project, for every brand and every client. Whether the brand or client is big or small, they always know what to expect from our agency: innovative ideas, commitment, consistency and passion.
- Conceptualize and create engaging and strategic copy for marketing and communications projects across various channels (e.g. web content, blogs, ads, social media, corporate communications, multi-platform campaigns, brand-building initiatives, etc.)
- Interpret client objectives and craft strategic messaging to advance specific goals, adapting to various brand styles
- Support copy integrity and editorial excellence as copy is moved through various stages of development and approvals throughout the creative process, proofing and managing quality assurance
- Edit client-supplied copy as needed, ensuring it is on-brand and adheres to best practices
- Manage social media accounts, post content to various channels and engage in community management
- Support content strategy and campaign development, media outreach and other communications initiatives, as needed
- Collaborate effectively with teammates, working closely with:
- Editor and CD to interpret briefs, ideate, deliver exceptional copy and implement feedback as needed
- Designers to bring concepts to life visually
- Project Manager to ensure assignments and various stages of projects are on track
- Marketing/Client Services team to ensure client expectations and strategic objectives are met
- Work on several projects at once, often under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Take initiative on projects and within the organization more broadly to advance solutions and address various challenges.
- Support the Editor, CD and broader team, as needed.
1. Technical Capacity
2. Problem Solving/Analysis
3. Customer Focus
4. Communication Proficiency
5. Results Driven
6. Strategic Thinking
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time and attention role that can be based in Toronto or St. Jacob’s, ON.
This position may require travel.
Required Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in journalism, communications, media or marketing
- 4+ years copywriting or communications experience, preferably in an agency, marketing or communications environment
- Experience crafting strong content across digital and traditional platforms. Social media prowess is a must
- Demonstrated understanding of writing and marketing communications best practices
- Ability to distil complex topics into strategic, consumer-oriented messaging, and capture a given brand’s tone of voice and style
- Demonstrated ability to quickly proofread and edit a range of communications pieces without compromising quality
- Impeccable grammar and attention to detail are essential
- Ability to take constructive criticism well and implement internal and client feedback
- Ability to work in a very fast-paced environment and adept at balancing a high volume of tasks, priorities and deadlines
- Creativity and smart sense of humour are musts
- Nice-to-haves: experience in social media community management, PR and/or media, writing for financial and/or professional services clients
Must be legally eligible to work in Canada
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter that indicates if you are interested in full-time permanent and/or contract employment. In addition, please respond to the following questions in the body of your cover letter:
- Give us a two or three sentence summary about your academic and/or professional background.
- Tell us about a specific accomplishment from your background that explains how you fit with our candidate description above.
- Tell us about a special project you worked on and what your biggest accomplishment was.
- Do you have any suggestions to make these kinds of projects run properly?
- Which part of these kinds of projects do tend to take the most time?
- What experience and/or skill listed in the description do you think you currently lack proficiency in?
Please remember to submit your resume, cover letter and include answers to the questions above. There is no word limit, but we’d prefer that you limit your answers to one page. Use the following format as the subject line for your submission "[Your Name] – [Role Title] Application".
We look forward to meeting you!
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- Copy writing/ Communications: 4 years (Preferred)