About Tech Spark
Tech Spark is Canada’s first technology and design school committed to empowering girls and children of colour through innovative programming. We provide access to equitable and culturally relevant content, quality education and priceless mentorship. With partners such as the Durham District School Board, Toronto District School Board and the Ontario Trillium Foundation, Tech Spark has become a leader in creating diversity in technology through education.
We envision Canada as a country where all children have the resources they need to thrive, as we empower children to be critical thinkers who lead lives of greater justice and equity.
As the Curriculum Development and Design Lead you will play a pivotal role in our mission to provide culturally responsive and equitable tech education to over 70,000 students across Canada. Your voice will be amplified on subjects relating to education reform in the public school system, and help influence how tech education is taught at the municipal level. You will oversee Tech Spark’s elementary and secondary school curriculum and teaching best practices. You will develop instructional material, coordinate its implementation with internal educators and K-12 teachers, and assess its effectiveness.
The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about teaching, understands the needs for education reform and has experience in computer science and technology. Our successful candidate will be using their years of teaching experience to design and develop curriculum and lesson plans. In addition to this, they will train our teachers and educators on successful culturally responsive teaching methodologies and practices.
As part of the Tech Spark team you will be responsible to manage our portfolio of Online and In-Class Curriculum and Development Programs. A key element in your role will be to use the vision of our programs curricula, and support the implementation of our IGNITE Online Teaching platform to be rolled out in 2019.
Working closely with our Executive Director, Chapter Leads and Educators, you will create iterations of our existing program curricula while researching and exploring opportunities to develop new and advanced programs.
Primary Responsibilities and Objectives
- Design and develop culturally responsive, tech-focused curriculum and lessons for blended learning (online and in-class)
- Design authentic and engaging lessons so that students can learn how to become independent thinkers and creative problem solvers
- Design and use pedagogy that deepens students’ knowledge and love of self, culture, their ancestors, and the world around them
- Keeping up-to-date with trends in technology education and recommending new areas and opportunities for student learning
- Demonstrate the ability to solve problems creatively and take a forward-thinking approach to curriculum development
- Train internal educators and K-12 teachers how to maintain an engaging and culturally relevant classroom that amplifies student learning and community involvement
- Train our internal educators on the content and delivery of material based on best practices
- Consistently assess educator and student progress, develop templates to communicate growth to students and families, and guide supportive interventions for students who are struggling academically, socially, or emotionally
- Implement support plans to maximize success for all students
- Adapt material based on various program lengths
- Define, evaluate and validate learning outcomes and corresponding curriculum design strategies and tactics for assessing student learning
- Incorporate creative and engaging instruction that improves student success
- Masters in education, teaching or related field
- 5+ years as a K-12 teacher or in instructional design
- 5+ years implementing culturally responsive teaching in the K-12 classroom
- Experience using gamification and storytelling in the K-12 classroom
- Effective writing skills
- Thought leader, quick thinker and highly autonomous
- Excellent observation, analytical and research skills
- Demonstrates a willingness to implement ambitious programs
- Demonstrates the ability to implement effective and creative teaching strategies
- Excellent interpersonal skills and is able to inspire and lead a team of educators
- Individuals applying to this position must be willing to travel within Toronto and/or Ajax
- Compensation will be provided for travel expenses
Competitive and based on experience.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
- Instructional Design: 5 years (Required)
- designing curriculum and/or teaching programming: 3 years (Preferred)
- using gamification and storytelling in the K-12 classroom: 2 years (Preferred)
- Implementing Culturally Responsive Teaching in a classroom: 5 years (Required)
- Master's Degree (Preferred)