ALL Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume
Stó: lō Service Agency requires the services of a qualified Family Empowerment Team (FET) Advocate to fill a vacancy with the Family Empowerment Program for the Health Services Department.
The Family Empowerment Team Advocate responsibilities are a collaboration of the Parent Child Assistance Program, Growing Great Kids Parenting Program and Indigenous Doulas. The Family Empowerment Team Advocate provides an intervention program that delivers direct outreach, home visitation/in home parenting program (GGK), case management and advocacy services to low to high risk mothers. Low to high risk mothers for this purpose are defined as women who have used or are at risk of using alcohol and/or drugs during pregnancy (the FET provides Doula services to pregnant clients on the program). Family Empowerment Program is a client centered program. The client determines their needs and direction of support, as well, the client chooses their own goals without judgement from staff. Our mandate is to decrease the incidence of FASD in the community.
This position reports to FET Coordinator. The successful candidate will work out of the Central (Chilliwack) office. Some travel may be required for this position.
· Minimum of 2 years of relevant post-secondary education and minimum of 2 years of community-based experience in related position or field.
· Must have experience dealing with substance abuse issues or other relevant issues.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively engage with low to high- risk mothers and their families.
· Ability to conduct interviews covering extremely sensitive and confidential issues.
· Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Familiarity of local Sto: lo culture and history or ability and willingness to learn
· Must possess a willingness to travel for training when needed
· Ability for being organized and must have good coordination and monitoring skills and able to keep good recording system.
· Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proven ability to establish rapport with people of all educational and occupational backgrounds.
· The Family Empowerment Team Advocate is expected to be familiar and comply with the expectations of confidentiality as outlined in the Stó: lō Service Agency Operational Policy Manual (SNOPM); and Provincial Health Act.
· Ability to maintain a healthy working relationship with staff, community representatives/members and representatives of other organizations
· Maintain the confidentiality guidelines of all records, materials and communications concerning clients, staff and Agency
Successful candidates will be required to provide the following if screened in for an interview:
· Proof of education documentation
· References: Three names and phone numbers of recent supervisors
· Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
· Must successfully pass the required pre-employment Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Check.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $22.00-$25.00 per hour
- Casual Dress
- Dental Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Extended Health Care
- Flexible Schedule
- On-site Parking
- Paid Time Off
- RRSP Match
- Vision Care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Policies are in place to keep staff safe and healthy. Currently our offices are not open to the public. Personal Protective Equipment is available to all staff.
- working within an Aboriginal community: 2 years (Preferred)