Overview: The Production Supervisor directs and coordinates activities of unionized production department in processing materials/products.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Ownership of production floor from all aspects of H&S, Quality, Waste and productivity.
- Achieve department line efficiency targets while maintaining a safe environment at all times.
- Ensure completion and accuracy of end of shift production report.
- Follow up on operational schedules and coordinate manufacturing activities to ensure production and quality of products meets specifications.
- Facilitate and own communication between production and any other department required to be involved based on the situation that arises.
- Resolve operational, manufacturing, and maintenance problems to ensure cost efficiency and attempt to minimize operational delays.
- Review machines and equipment with the maintenance department to ensure specific operational performance and optimum utilization.
- Develop or revise standard operational and working practices and observe workers to ensure compliance with standards.
- Recommend measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Responsible for the development and growth of all production floor staff involving areas of behavior, communication, productivity, and career progression.
- Keep payroll system (ADP) up to date daily as well as approving vacations based on requests received from employees.
- Observe and drive forward continuous improvement suggestions and ideas that will benefit the overall flow of the production floor.
- Review and adjust staffing requirements to meet production schedules.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of machines operators, roasters, General Labourers, and Material Handlers, and Lead Hands.
- Responsible for the implementation and continued support of Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, and Health and Safety Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Employee Relations
- Interpret collective agreement to workers and enforce compliance.
- Resolve employee concerns or submit unsettled issues to Management and Human Resources for action.
- Initiate or suggest plans to motivate employees to achieve work goals and increase morale.
- Ambassador for positive change by maintaining a positive attitude and constantly reinforcing encouraging behaviors and communication.
- Confer with other supervisors, team leads, and other departments to coordinate departmental activities and recommend promotions.
- Assess work group functions and develop processes to improve on operational efficiencies.
- Train and orient new staff in the specific functions and tasks of their job, as well as all Health and Safety Practices and procedures.
- Conduct regular re-fresher Safety training.
- Lead start of shift meetings weekly with production staff.
- Conduct Probationary and Annual Performance Reviews along with Disciplinary Performance Discussions.
- Report information to Payroll Administrator in reference to employee sick time, vacation, overtime, etc.
- Follow HACCP procedures. Complete all forms and records as set out by HACCP-TROPHY Foods Inc.
- Promote and comply with TROPHY’s Health and Safety policies and procedures including the wearing of PPE, Lockout, WHMIS, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Qualifications, and Educational Requirements:
- Two-year college or technical school and/or;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in multifaceted production environment dealing with high speed machinery and a multicultural work staff environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook recommended.
- Experience in JDE an asset.
- Health and Safety Certification an asset.
- Standard First Aid /CPR trained an asset.
- Leadership/communication training certificates an asset.
Accountabilities for Success:
- Collaborate and partner with others through actively building positive and productive relationships, working to understand different viewpoints, and treating people of varying backgrounds and perspectives fairly.
- Communicate ideas and information in an effective manner by listening, demonstrating understanding, readily sharing information, and keeping appropriate parties up to date.
- Take initiative to understand and produce results aligned to department priorities, and accept responsibility for performance and results.
- Identify root causes of problems and develop solutions to make effective, timely decisions and drive the change forward.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Trophy’s vision and mission. Understand how individual decisions and actions impact the needs of the department as well as overall corporate goals.
- Build teams by selecting the right people, with the right skills, at the right time. Set clear goals and develop others to build new skills and capabilities. Provide support, resources, and constructive feedback to achieve objectives. Manage conflict within the department and between the department and others.
- Ensure teams are communicating by building an environment of collaboration, partnership, and trust, as well as holding others accountable.
- Lead change by example through generating unique ideas and solutions, championing new initiatives, and overcoming resistance to change.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking by developing plans, balancing immediate priorities with long-term goals, anticipating future conditions and circumstances, and aligning with department and corporate goals when implementing initiatives.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Microsoft Office: 2 years (Required)
- Food Manufacturing: 2 years (Required)
- GMP/ BRC Certifiied environment: 2 years (Preferred)
- production supervisor: 5 years (Required)
- Supervisory/Management: 3 years (Required)
- Leadership/ Communication: 3 years (Required)
- Supervising Unionized Workers: 1 year (Required)
- Calgary, AB (Required)
- English (Required)