Department: Water Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: 4515 Central Boulevard, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $2,982.40 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Water Services Department is seeking two (2) Inspectors II who will provide construction inspection quality assurance in the field. Our water and liquid waste projects span the Metro Vancouver region and encompass a wide array of large and small civil works, including construction of sewer and water mains, reservoirs and pump stations, and including lining, coating and materials inspection.
You are: seeking a place which offers growth and opportunity. You are self-motivated, enjoy working outdoors in a challenging construction oriented environment, safety minded, detail oriented, well organized, and have a good working knowledge of applying engineering standards and specifications. You have demonstrated superior interpersonal, teamwork, verbal/written communication and reporting skills that have enabled you to ensure construction activity compliance with project specifications and guidelines.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.)
- Inspect water, sewer, solid waste and other Metro Vancouver construction projects for conformity to specifications and drawings and ensure that general quality for the project is maintained.
- Read and interpret detailed engineering drawings for construction layout and for construction conformity.
- Prepare daily inspection reports, detailed diaries and attend pre-construction and site meetings with engineers and contractors.
- Maintain detailed written records concerning material quality and instructions to contractors.
- Maintain construction records (e.g. pipe laid, excavation quantities, concrete and reinforcing steel placed, bedding and backfill material used, etc.) for the preparation of progress estimates and “as built” records.
- Inspect and ensure quality of materials including aggregates, concrete, asphalt, pipe fabrication, linings and coatings at manufacturing plants.
- Inspect the field application of corrosion protection on pipelines.
- Perform engineering related calculations.
- Perform grade and alignment checks using survey equipment.
- Ensure staff and contractors adhere to safety regulations.
- Ensure that staff and contractors understand the specifications and drawings.
- Perform basic soil investigations.
- Oversee the work of contractors.
- Supervise and direct one or more junior staff.
- Perform other related duties.
To be successful, you have:
- Intermediate Certificate in Civil Engineering Technology from BCIT or other recognized technical institute plus at least two years of directly related and progressive experience.
- Valid BC driver’s licence.
- Sound knowledge of standard engineering terminology and applicable practices.
- Ability to interpret and follow standards and specifications.
- Sound knowledge of quality control testing procedures regarding materials utilized in water, sewer and solid waste projects.
- Ability to communicate and deal effectively with Metro Vancouver staff, outside organizations, contractors and the public.
- Sound knowledge of safety procedures and WorkSafe regulations and ability to apply regulations.
- Intermediate experience in the use of computers and applicable software.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff.