This is a part-time evening position.
The successful candidate will be required to submit a clear Police Check and Child Intervention Record Check.
Days & Hours of Work
- Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6:00pm - 9:00pm
- 11 hours/per week (9 instructional & 2 prep hours)
Potential Work Location:
3802 - 139 Avenue
Primary Focus: Provide basic English language instruction to adult newcomers to facilitate the social, cultural, and economic integration of immigrants and refugees into Canada.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Foster a welcoming, safe and positive learning atmosphere for students
- Teach the LINC class assigned.
- Conduct a needs assessment and plan course content based on students’ preferences.
- Deliver LINC instruction to immigrant students emphasizing settlement issues and multicultural inclusion.
- Create module/lesson plans following assigned LINC Curriculum, and a Task-Based Language Teaching approach (TBLT).
- Instruct and assist students with language learning software in the LINC computer lab.
- Organize and go on field trips that fit within TBLT and PBLA.
- Test/assess and record student achievement referenced to the Canadian Language Benchmarks and Portfolio Based Language Assessments (PBLA).
- Prepare student progress reports at the end of each session and hold conferences with students regarding their progress.
- Ensure there is a generic lesson plan for one full day in the Sub Binder. In the event of a known absence, leave a complete and current lesson plan for one day for the substitute teacher.
- Arrange for a substitute teacher after office hours and on weekends or holidays.
- Ensure classrooms are clean and tidy at the end of the working shift, as classrooms are shared spaces.
- Work as a team participating in and contributing to materials exchange, staff meetings, professional development, potlucks and field trips.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Alberta teaching certificate is preferred;
- Alternate bachelor’s degree, and
1-2 years of ESL/EAL teaching experience, or
TESOL certification, or
A commitment to take ACE course for qualification.
- Language Proficiency Requirements, if required:
TOEFL iBT – 92 or more with a minimum of 22 in each skill
IELTS General or Academic – 7.0 overall score with a minimum of 6.5 in each skill; or, CELPIP General – 10 in each skill
- Must complete the online CLB Bootcamp Training prior to commencing employment
- TESL Canada Professional Certification (Standard One or higher) is an asset;
- Experience working with adult ESL learners at various levels;
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- Demonstrated capability in developing curricula;
- Strong computer skills and knowledge incorporating technology into the ESL classroom; and,
- Ability to work independently with solid time management and organizational skills.
Please note this position is only open to Canadian Citizens and/or Permanent Residents of Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $34.00 /hour
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Time Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Edmonton, AB (Required)
- ESL Certification (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)