Kayas College is an on-reserve adult education center, serving the three communities of Little Red River Cree Nation in Northern Alberta. Using a unique blend of in-classroom and teleconference-based courses, Kayas delivers academic programming, community training, and housing construction (trades) apprenticeships. Kayas is a small organization that takes on a variety of projects and responsibilities year-round.
Kayas is seeking an English Instructor to instruct as part of our academic upgrading program. The successful candidate will be offered a renewable-contract to teach three academic semesters, dates as follows:
January 3 2019 – May 10 2019
August 19 2019 – December 13 2019
January 6 2020 - May 8 2020
The English Instructor prepares and delivers instruction in 6 course levels, taking adult learners from a grade 6 to 12 level based off of the Alberta provincial curriculum. Working closely with the Math and Social Studies instructors, as well as program manager and support staff, you will work to aid up to 75 students per semester in achieving academic and personal success.
- Create and deliver English language and literacy curriculum as part of the academic upgrading program
- Prepare lessons and teach daily courses via Kayas’ unique teleconferencing/classroom delivery blend
- Create, assign, grade, and provide feedback on student homework
- Work with students experiencing grade, truancy, or classroom issues
- Work with site facilitator to oversee the operations of the Kayas campus in Fox Lake
- Record management of student information, grades, and attendance
- Coordinate returning student and new student applications each semester
- Assist students with applications for government funding
- Seek out new opportunities for curriculum, program, and professional development
- Assist with other projects and courses being run by Kayas College
- 4-year Baccalaureate degree
- Experience working on a reserve is an asset
- Experience teaching in a remote / foreign location is an asset
- Salary commensurate with experience and remote northern living conditions
- Generous benefits package and 5% employer match pension plan
- Christmas and March break vacation time coordinated with school closures
- Housing, utilities, internet provided
- Opportunity for subsidized professional development after first year
- Northern resident’s tax deduction and Northern travel tax deduction
- Occasional travel on unpaved roads is a natural part of this position. Work vehicles are not provided, but mileage is compensated. As such, a vehicle with AWD or 4x4 is recommended.
- This position is based 100 km from the nearest full-service town. The ideal candidate should be able to endure remote living conditions, and cold winters.
- A conventional teaching degree is not required, but a passion for education is ideal.
- Our school year runs from mid August to mid May, and semi-monthly payment of the full contract value is spread out equally over this time period.
For more information about Kayas, visit www.kayascollege.ca
We thank all applicants for their submission, but only those chosen for interview will be contacted
Job Type: Contract