McElhanney Ltd. is seeking an experienced and motivated Intermediate Biologist to join either our Victoria, Duncan or Nanaimo, BC offices. The successful candidate will be a key member of our environmental team with the ability to draw on support from over 50 environmental professionals within the company, with a wide range of expertise. In this role, you will work on a variety of projects including baseline data collection, development of environmental protection plans, and Environmental Monitoring for large multi-disciplinary construction projects.
- All stages of environmental studies from proposal preparation through data collection, interpretation, and reporting
- Coordinating permits, licenses, and approvals
- Design and implement terrestrial and aquatic habitat mitigation and compensation measures
- Mentor junior staff members of the environmental team
- Coordinate subcontracting specialties as required
- Environmental management, erosion, and sediment control design and monitoring
- Provide environmental advice and solutions to guide design and assist with planning
- Business development, and client relations
- Other duties as assigned.
What Can We Offer You?:
- At least 5 years of experience within a similar role
- University degree in Biology or a related field
- RP Bio. or ability to achieve designation immediately
- Experience should include proposal preparation, aquatic or terrestrial habitat assessments, environmental monitoring, permitting, and reporting
- Specialization in fisheries/aquatic sciences would be considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and supervise other junior members of an integrated consulting team
- Proven report writing experience and strong communication abilities
- Experience liaising with clients, First Nations, and government agencies
- Electrofishing certification and/or CPESC would be considered an asset
- Proficiency with GIS, ArcMap, mobile data collection, and/or data management would be considered an asset
- Possession of a valid BC driver’s license is required at the time of hire.
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Great benefits, including extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone
- A family-like culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Ability to become a shareholder in an employee owned company
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.:
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit www.mcelhanney.com/careers: to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about employee experience at McElhanney, visit us on Glassdoor
Victoria offers a fantastic array of culture from academia to arts to outdoors/beach lifestyles. An historic provincial capital, Victoria has all of the amenities of a large city, but the friendly community feel that defines Vancouver Island. Victoria offers the most temperate climate in all of Canada, with less rain and more sun than other cities on the West Coast.
Our Victoria branch offers a wide array of McElhanney services including civil and structural engineering, land surveying and environmental consulting, working on projects both locally and in the greater Vancouver Island region.
McElhanney is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion which celebrates the successes that comes from a team diverse in expertise, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage and are pleased to consider all qualified candidates, welcoming all ethnicities, religions, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, aboriginal status, age, disability, or persons who may require an accommodation, to apply.
McElhanney is aware of activities where individuals have received fraudulent job offers. Please be advised that McElhanney will not ask applicants for any form of monetary exchange at any point in the recruitment process. To learn more visit: www.mcelhanney.com/careers/fraud-warning
The disclosure of your information in accordance with this Policy and applicable law, including to third party service providers may result in your personal information being transferred outside of Canada, including to the United States. Such transferred personal information may be subject to the laws of these other countries and the laws of other countries regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information may be different from the laws of Canada.