Mentor Works Ltd., the Canadian government funding expert, provides grant writing services to Canadian small and medium-sized businesses. By assessing our clients' strategic objectives and innovation challenges, we match optimal government grants, loans and/or tax credits to accelerate their growth. Government funding programs support a plethora of projects, including capital investment, market expansion, research & product development, and hiring & training.
We are a growing organization providing leading expertise and funding services by investing in our team. We are committed to continuous improvement in enhancing internal processes, providing additional learning opportunities, and continuously monitoring funding opportunities. The Business Funding Technical Writer role will offer the selected candidate an opportunity to specialize in a specific sub-set of industries and to develop their project management skills, with additional possibilities for taking on special projects.
The Grant Writer will work directly with Team Leads to write business proposals and funding applications that range from $10,000 to $20,000,000 in size. These funding applications are positioned to assist our clients’ businesses with projects including business expansion, research & development, capital investment, and hiring initiatives. The Grant Writer will report to a Team Lead and/or Operations managers.
Preparation and Submission of Business Cases and Funding Proposals (90%): Work directly with a Team Lead on the preparation and submission of funding proposals. This includes synthesizing project information gathered from research, client meetings, notes from the sales team or team lead, and previous funding proposals. We typically write 90%+ of content in a written submission; this content can range from a single paragraph to more than 70 pages. A Team Lead will review your work and provide feedback for changes or improvement before submitting. Tasks include:
- Research and Analysis: Research through a variety of online sources, market reports, client data, and interview notes to develop a coherent narrative for a funding proposal.
- Application Preparation/Writing: Applications include varying combinations of a project and/or business focus depending on the nature of the request for funding. You will work with your team to write drafts and/or review business plans and/or formal application files.
- Systemization/Document Management: As documentation (e.g. financial statements, quotes, etc.) for a project comes in, you are responsible for filing and storing the documents appropriately on our system. Additionally, the Technical Writer is responsible for maintaining the integrity and consistency of our file management system.
Other (10%): Support administrative and other duties as required by the company. This can include:
- Administrative Support: CRM recordkeeping, emails, and reporting to Team Leads.
- Internal Meetings: Meeting prep and facilitation for weekly team meetings.
- Other: Special projects may be assigned on an on-going basis, these can include blog writing, marketing support, systems development, etc.
- Writing: The role demands very strong writing and editing skills. You will be responsible for drafting and editing complex funding proposals.
- Variety: The role includes exposure to many different business sectors. We work with clients across a variety of sectors including industrial manufacturing, food processing and production, aerospace, software, tech, geomatics, and other B2B and B2C manufacturing.
- Autonomy: You will be responsible to meet client deadlines and provide exceptional quality and turnaround on services. This will include ownership of your workload and schedule.
- Passionate Team: Personality is key and that’s why we have been so successful in having a vibrant team. You will be working with a group of dedicated and hard working individuals all working towards a unified goal of exceptional service to our clients.
- Training and Development Opportunities: We provide opportunities for continuous learning and expect that employees will be dedicated to improving industry and job-specific knowledge.
- Communication: Clear and direct communication is important, as is the ability to have frank and sometimes difficult conversations with clients and team members, demonstrating a willingness to resolve and manage conflict and difference in opinions.
QUALIFICATIONS - REQUIRED
- Bachelor of Arts in Humanities, Social Sciences, or Business
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- 1+ years of experience in industry; various experience acceptable
- Strong decision-making skills; ability to work with limited information
- Excellent writing skill and experience in business case writing
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timelines
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to think outside the box
- Experience working independently and in a team environment
- Strong research skills
- Highly flexible and adaptable
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timelines
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
QUALIFICATIONS - PREFERRED
- Experience in proposal writing
- Experience preparing business and marketing plans
- Industry experience in roles that include strategic planning, project management, or similar. Ideally experience in a manufacturing or advanced technology sector
- Understanding of accounting and finance practices; ability to interpret an income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement
- Experience writing SR&ED credits considered an asset
Must be willing to commute to Guelph
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Technical Writing: 1 year (preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19