Northern Zone, Aberdeen Hospital
3004188 MHA NZ MHOP-Adult Services ARH
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly PT (50% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Healthcare Bargaining Unit - CUPE
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Health Services Manager, the Social Worker works as a member of the multi-disciplinary team and will provide comprehensive services to adults with mental health/addiction disorders who fit within the established target population. Services may also include the provision of group treatment approaches and client, family and community education about mental health disorders and their treatments.
The Social Worker ensures that the principles and practices that guide our work such as the mission, vision, values, expected behaviors, the leadership philosophy, organizational health, population health, ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and inter-professional collaboration are integrated within the services they provide and through the messages they deliver.
This position includes conducting comprehensive assessments, treatment planning and provision of professional clinical services for patients/clients who are living with complex mental health disorders and/or concurrent disorder(s).
- Masters of Social Work with a specialization in a clinical or mental health stream (if not available, a Master’s Degree in Social Work from an acceptable educational institution that can demonstrate a significant portion of coursework focused on mental health disorders and treatment)
- Registered with the Nova Scotia College of Social Work
- Two years' of clinical experience in an inpatient/outpatient mental health setting, providing independent assessment and treatment of adult mental health disorders required.
- Competence in assessment, intervention (individual, family, and group) and research
- Specialized knowledge of acute and persistent mental illness and concurrent disorders
- Knowledge and competence in evidenced based interventions such as CBT, and risk assessment
- Evidence of knowledge and ability to complete mental health assessment, diagnosis and evidence based treatment using the DSM-V
- Understanding of substance use, abuse and dependency.
- Knowledge of standards that guide the profession.
- Knowledge of and ability to link to community resources
- Development related to Information Systems (ex. MHOIS, SAP and Meditech)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrated accountability, judgment and decision making skills
- Strong client focus and ability to build solid client/practitioner relationships
- Demonstrated communication and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated collaboration and teamwork skills
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Demonstrated planning, organization and time management skills
- Commitment to promoting a culture that supports safety, ethical practices and organizational health
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
Hours of Work
Permanent, Part Time (50%) 37.5 hours bi-weekly
$34.8134 - $45.7653 Hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/