Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week:
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Delivery of safe, effective and integrated surgical care that elevates the health and well-being of patients regionally and globally through discovery, education and innovation. The Department of Surgery’s vision is to be an international leader in forming the future of surgical care, research, and education.
The Program Assistant will be responsible for supporting the effective and efficient administration of all educational programs within the Department of Surgery. The role will act as a point of contact and will provide information to students, residents, faculty, committees and other relevant stakeholders regarding education processes and requirements, as well as guidance regarding University and departmental policies and procedures in response to inquiries. The Program Assistant will also support the planning and coordination of meetings and activities within the Department, assist with creating and maintaining student and program records, and coordinate logistics for examinations.
- 2 year Community College Diploma in Office Administration
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 years’ experience providing administrative support and customer service; preferably in an academic environment
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, faculty members, students and the public
- Ability to interact professionally with students, staff, faculty, and other members of the University community
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office in order to prepare emails, course outlines, announcements, and to input data into spreadsheets and databases
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.