The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) Baseball Team is a pay-to-play Club Baseball program with locations in Abbotsford and Chilliwack, British Columbia. The team was formed in partnership with UFV in 2015 and consists of 40-50 varsity and junior varsity student-athletes ranging in age from 17-23 years old. UFV participates in the Canadian Collegiate Baseball Conference (CCBC) which includes seven University and College teams from BC and Alberta. The team has enjoyed significant success during its short time in the league including winning the league championship in 2018/2019 and helping five athletes earn scholarship to US post-secondary schools last season.
The UFV Baseball Head Coach will have the proven experience to develop a high performance baseball program coupled with an understanding of a student-centered approach focusing on the development of the whole student. In addition to the coaching responsibilities outlined below, the accepted candidate will be expected to perform private lessons, clinics, camps, and showcases for additional income.
- Formulate a successful philosophy to promote the educational welfare and sportsmanship of the student-athlete.
- Assist in Preparation and management of a yearly budget for the UFV baseball team.
- Purchasing of equipment and uniforms, and maintaining records of all purchases.
- Insure that all baseball players meet CCBC eligibility requirements and work in conjunction with UFV athletic department to handle academic matters
- Develop a fall and spring schedule for the varsity and junior varsity team.
- Assist in making travel and transportation arrangements for the team. ·
- Develop and maintain a yearly, monthly, and daily maintenance schedule for all baseball facilities.
- Assist in development and implementation of fundraisers and other revenue generating to improve the baseball program.
- Assist in management and scheduling of indoor baseball facility outside of UFV's usage.
- Develop and implement recruitment and player retention plan and actively recruit student/athletes and retain current players.
- Develop standardized curriculum regarding how the baseball program is run and what is taught.
- Develop and actively participate in a plan to enhance public relations for the baseball program.
- Provide academic advising to each player in the development of class schedule. and Track the progress of each player in throughout the semester.
- Attend two professional development clinics/workshops annually to continue to improve coaching abilities.
- Hold consistent individual meetings with each player to learn their goals and help them plan strategies to accomplish these goals.
- Develop practice plans in advance of each practice and plan coaches meetings in preparation for practices.
- Help players improve their skills and develop their abilities on and off the field.
- Assist UFV players in getting recruited to other schools and summer collegiate teams.
- Plan and implement team bonding events and small competitions to promote team cohesion.
- Build relationships and network with other coaches and individuals involved in baseball.
- Incorporate semi-annual assessment techniques to understand where improvements can be made in program.
- Regularly communicate with UFV players, parents, supporters, volunteers, and support staff.
- Assist in development and supervision of strength and conditioning program.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the university and baseball program.
- Assist with team marketing and social media efforts.
- Collect player fees and other related revenue
- Attend CCBC league meetings and events
- Ensure work place procedures align with WorkSafe BC protocols ·
- Ensure all baseball activities align with Baseball bc and Via Sports Covid-19 return to play procedures.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Preferred undergraduate degree in related field.
- Playing experience at collegiate level or higher.
- At least two years coaching experience with high level competitive baseball players.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A strong public service orientation to work well with faculty, staff, students, and the community.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Skill in budget preparation and management
- Proficiency in Microsoft office (Excel, word, PowerPoint)
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
- Must be able to throw batting practice and hit fungoes.
- Must have valid drivers license and passport.
Non Essential Skills:
- NCCP, personal training, first aid, or athletic training certifications are valued.
- Social media marketing, and website design and maintenance skills are an asset.
- Due to the seasonal nature of University baseball, this position will require full-time employment from late August- late May and part-time employment during the summer months.
- Benefits such as medical, dental, travel costs are negotiable.
- If a candidate needs to move, mobilization costs will be considered, up to a certain value.
Industry: Education and Schools
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $30.00-$35.00 per hour
- Coaching: 2 years (Preferred)
- Collegiate Baseball Playing: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)