Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
Reporting to the Director, Quality, Patient Safety and Experience, the Patient Relations Facilitator will work collaboratively with all levels of hospital staff to facilitate the effective handling, documentation and resolution of all feedback received, including compliments, comments, suggestions, inquiries and complaints. The Patient Relations Facilitator will promote effective communication and conduct proactive relationship building initiatives amongst hospital staff, visitors, patients and their families. The successful candidate may be scheduled at any SHN hospital based on departmental needs.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Contribute to creating a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff and others, working in compliance with the hospital code of conduct and the provisions of health and safety policies and legislation. Utilize proper protective equipment, identify and report hazards.
- Manage patient, family, visitor feedback in a non-judgemental supportive manner:
- Clarify, assess and summarize feedback and forward to the appropriate leadership team members for review and response.
- Collaborate with physicians and hospital staff to resolve all concerns in a timely manner.
- Investigate and gather information related to feedback.
- Prepare correspondence in response to feedback (acknowledgement letters, review summaries) and ensure correspondence is reviewed, and if necessary approved by relevant parties prior to distribution to patient and/or families.
- Maintain the Feedback database. Document all feedback received, provide user education when required, and produce reports as required.
- Identify cases requiring involvement of Patient Safety and Risk Management and provide assistance as required.
- Promote effective communication and conflict resolution amongst physicians and hospital staff through educational initiatives, liaise with external groups to promote awareness in the community of the patient relations service at SHN
- Identify trends and quality improvement opportunities arising from feedback that identify systemic issues and bring these to the attention of the Director, Quality, Patient Safety and Experience for review.
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field, health care and/or conflict resolution degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years recent experience in an acute care setting or health care related area
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with database applications and statistical software
- Proven mediation, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Excellent problem-solving, decision making and analytical skills
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills with ability to influence others
- Demonstrated ability to work with internal contacts, including physicians, staff and management at all levels
- Great degree of resourcefulness, originality and versatility in developing improved methods of operation
- Ability to travel cross-site as needed
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN's Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance record
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.