ABOUT MENTOR WORKS LTD
Mentor Works Ltd., the Canadian government funding expert, provides grant writing services to Canadian small and medium-sized businesses. By assessing our clients' strategic objectives and innovation challenges, we match optimal government grants, loans and/or tax credits to accelerate their growth and support the development, writing, and submission of funding proposals.
We are a growing organization providing leading expertise and funding services by investing in our team. We are committed to continuous improvement in enhancing internal processes, providing additional learning opportunities, and continuously monitoring funding opportunities. The Junior Team Lead position will offer the selected candidate an opportunity to specialize in a specific sub-set of industries and to develop their people management skills, with additional possibilities for taking on special projects.
The Junior Team Lead will work directly with clients/companies, business executives and managers, and government program officers, to draft government funding applications. The position demands strong writing, critical thinking, and analysis skills as well as strong attention to detail, an ability to comprehend and synthesize complex concepts, strong decision-making skills, professionalism and the ability to multi-task in constantly changing environments.
The position involves significant project management to lead and write business proposals and funding applications that range from $10,000 to $20,000,000 in size. These funding applications are positioned to assist our clients’ businesses with projects including business expansion, research & development, marketing, capital investment, and hiring initiatives. Additionally, you will support other Team Leads with the crafting and writing of large, complex and technical proposals. You will report directly to the Program Manager.
Funding Strategizing, Project Scoping and Client Communication (40%): You will be responsible for communicating program requirements to clients, as well as gathering/synthesizing project information, managing proposal writing, and overseeing the application process through to submission. We typically contribute 90% of content in a written submission, which can be more than 70+ pages of unique content per proposal. The Junior Team Lead will meet with clients to discuss the project, as well as obtain raw data through interviews to support their applications.
- Information Gathering and Analysis: Direct client engagement, company and project information gathering, project scoping and strategizing, and communicating program and project details with client and the government program staff.
- Client Relationship Management: This is a client facing role and you will be required to manage client demands and expectations effectively. You will develop strong working relationships with clients to ensure project completion and be able to communicate Mentor Works’ value proposition effectively to clients.
- Submission and Follow-Up: Directly submit and follow-up with government funding body, monitor application status, and provide follow-up support to client.
- Monthly/quarterly Targets: Workload management to ensure the team’s monthly and quarterly targets are regularly met, as well as troubleshoot any challenges that arise.
- Project Management: Balancing your writing and project lead workload. This includes leading and writing multiple projects and ensuring the final product meets internal and client standards.
- Overall Team Support: Our team works together to support larger files and resolve issues. You will be communicating, collaborating, and working directly with Team Leads and BFAs.
Proposal Preparation, Writing and Submission of Business Cases and Funding Proposals (40%): Either on your own or with a Team Lead, work on the preparation and submission of funding proposals. This includes synthesizing project information gathered from research, client meetings, notes from the sales team or team lead, and previous funding proposals. We typically write 90%+ of content in a written submission; this content can range from a single paragraph to more than 70 pages. A Team Lead/Program Manager will review your work and provide feedback for changes or improvement before submitting. Tasks include:
- Research and Analysis: Research through a variety of online sources, market reports, client data, and interview notes to develop a coherent narrative for a funding proposal.
- Application Preparation/Writing: Applications include varying combinations of a project and/or business focus depending on the nature of the request for funding. You will work with your team to write drafts and/or review business plans and/or formal application files.
- Systemization/Document Management: As documentation (e.g. financial statements, quotes, etc.) for a project comes in, you are responsible for filing and storing the documents appropriately on our system. Additionally, the Junior Team Lead is responsible for maintaining the integrity and consistency of our file management system.
- Administrative duties: CRM record keeping and reporting to senior management.
- Internal Meetings: Meeting prep and facilitation for internal weekly team meetings.
- Other: Special projects, high priority items, including systematization, new/existing funding program research, review and updates etc.
- Writing: The role demands very strong writing and editing skills. You will be responsible for writing, drafting, editing, and overseeing completion of complex funding proposals.
- Client Service Focus: The role is client-facing so you must enjoy and be comfortable working directly with clients. Demonstrating sensitivity toward confidential business details, a high degree of professionalism, and exhibiting decorum are critical.
- Variety: The role includes exposure to many interesting sectors and technology, including advanced manufacturing, food processing, software development, and others.
- Autonomy: You must take ownership of your workload and schedule to meet client or program deadlines while providing exceptional quality and turnaround on services.
- Training and Development Opportunities: We provide opportunities for continuous learning and expect that employees will be dedicated to improving industry and job-specific knowledge.
- Resiliency: The role requires the Junior Team Lead to work in a high-paced environment on multiple projects with ongoing timelines and deadlines. *
QUALIFICATIONS - REQUIRED
- Minimum of undergrad degree in Social Sciences, Humanities or Business
- 3+ years of experience in industry with progressive responsibility
- Experience working in a client facing role
- Excellent writing skills and experience presenting written submissions to VP and C level executives
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience working independently and in a team environment
- Strong decision making skills; ability to work with limited information
- Strong research skills
- Ability to work under pressure with tight timelines
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong ability to manage client expectations
- Expected to drive across Ontario to meet with clients in person or to conduct program site visits (reimbursements applicable)
QUALIFICATIONS - PREFERRED
- Experience reporting to, or working with, business leaders
- Masters Degree or professional designation an asset
- Experience managing others
- Experience preparing or evaluating business and marketing plans or case studies/projects
- Understanding of accounting and finance practices; familiarity with financial statements and metrics
- Industry experience in roles that include strategic planning, project management, or similar.
- Experience in a manufacturing or advanced technology sector
Job Type: Full-time