The Receptionist & Administrative Assistant is responsible for a wide variety of clerical and administrative office duties in support of association administration. This position represents the first point of contact for members, optometric staff, the public and other organizations.
Although this position reports directly to the Office Manager, the Receptionist & Administrative Assistant will also take direction and receive work assignments from the CEO and assist other staff members when required necessary.
The following tasks, duties and responsibilities are the essential functions of this job:
- Respond to telephone, e-mail and in-person inquiries from members, business partners and other parties
- Refer inquiries to the appropriate individuals across the organization
- Take and record telephone, e-mail or written messages for staff members
- Type forms, letters, reports and memos as necessary for the Chief Executive Officer and/or Council members
- Administer and manage inbound/outbound mail, including priority post, packages, courier services and other correspondence
- Verify and match courier slips to invoices and code to appropriate account
- Website management including updates, postings and maintenance of internal database
- Manage billing inquiries for Insured Services
- Responsible to update and maintain:
- Member Database (web based)
- Front desk manual
- Member Manual
- Online classifieds, including the invoice request
- Process members orders and generate invoices
- Produces and generates various invoices.
- Formats content for various electronic communications pieces and distributes accordingly.
Receptionist Administrative Assistant Job Description Jan 2018 Page 2 of 3 Reviewed & Approved By: Chief Executive Officer
- Create/update communication templates as required.
- Government Relations Support:
- Track and maintain political events and provide information to Chief Executive Officer
- Sends communications to ODs on upcoming events or activities
- Maintains constituency list and OD matching list
- Support with Association event planning when required
- Responsible for the maintenance of all office equipment, including the telephone system
- Coordinates and manages the lending/returning of Association equipment as per policy
- Order and maintain office and kitchen supplies and office stationary
- Assist with maintaining the reception and kitchen areas in a tidy and presentable manner
- Maintain filing system
Education & Experience
- Minimum High School Diploma
- Post-secondary education in business or office management is an asset
- Minimum of two (2) years working experience in an administrative environment
- Strong knowledge of general office procedures involving equipment and machines, procurement, etc.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Office
- Experience with Content Management System or WordPress for website administration is a definite asset
- Experience with email marketing systems (e.g. Informz)
- Must speak, read and write English fluently
Skills & Abilities
Excellent communication, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
Must be able to handle confidential information in an ethical and professional manner
Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
Attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
Must be professional and organized
Ability to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
Superior telephone manners
Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships with internal staff and other stakeholders
Strong customer service orientation
Ability to provide information to members in a timely fashion
Arm and finger dexterity required to operate computer keyboard and office equipment.
Stamina to spend long hours sitting and using computer.
Ability to work evening and weekends, as requested.
Ability to travel, as requested (e.g. AAO annual conference and/or meetings).
Job Type: Full-time
- Receptionist: 2 years (Required)
- administrative assistant: 2 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Edmonton, AB (Preferred)