- Completion of Office Administration Medical diploma, Health Unit Clerk certificate with Medical Terminology Course (1 and 2 or equivalent), or equivalent hospital based training
- One year of Ward Clerk patient care unit experience in the last five (5) years
- Recent evidence in the ability and proficiency in computer skills related to an electronic health record environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint), as well as Internet applications
- Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to work independently
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
- Demonstrated flexibility to facilitate changes in techniques and procedures in a changing environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and competence of skills and concepts related to the position
- Demonstrated competence in written, oral and telephone communication skills
- Ability to respect and promote confidentiality
- Ability to perform the duties of the position on a regular basis
- Ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population
- Ability to work effectively and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, clients and within interdisciplinary team
- Responsible for all clerical duties that are designed to support and maintain the day to day function of the Acute Care unit.
- Responsible for maintaining communication within the unit, including answering the telephone, redirecting calls to the appropriate staff, contacting switchboard, paging physicians and ensuring faxes and emails are sent and received in a timely manner.
- Responsible for greeting visitors to the unit and assisting with inquiries in consultation with the charge nurse.
- Responsible for submitting GRASP (Daily Unit Activity Report) daily to Nursing Office after Charge Nurse reviews information submitted.
- Completing electronic and/or paper daily lab orders and ensuring that the lab receives the order.
- Enter orders into Orders Communication when received from physicians and ensure the results of all tests are placed into the chart appropriately;
- Notifies the nurse of any scheduled appointments for their patients updating Client Care Plan as needed.
- Creating patient charts including preparation of labels utilizing the approved standard chart sequence. Responsible for assembling patient charts on admission and dismantling charts on discharge and return of patient records to Health Records.
- Responsible for backing the patient charts to ensure that there are sufficient blank physicians orders sheets, interdisciplinary progress notes in each chart.
- Organizing patient transfer documentation, on some units this includes booking of the ambulance and assembling relevant paperwork
- Use of ADT to admit, transfer and discharge patients throughout the facility and also on final discharge.
- Order stationary and ensure that there are sufficient supplies available on the unit.
- Other duties as assigned.
Oct 04, 2023 4:00 PM
Part Time Indefinite Term. Term Start Date: 5th October 2023
This INDEFINITE TERM may expire subject to 24 hours notice of return of the current incumbent
Anticipated shift length:
11.625 hour shifts
As per collective agreement
Acute - 400/500 Medicine
Brandon Regional Health Centre
Location / Home Base:
HR Posting Number:
Sep 27, 2023