For over 75 years, Medavie Blue Cross has been a leading health and wellness partner for individuals, employers and governments across Canada. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization dedicated to giving back to the communities where we live and work, and to ensuring our employees thrive in our award-winning, collaborative culture. We are one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and are recognized as a Caring Company, a designation for national leaders in community investment and social responsibility.
Our team of 2,100 professionals work across six provinces. We excel by living our shared values of being caring, accountable, responsible, innovative and community-minded. We’re committed to ensuring the health and wellness of our employees and their families, along with personal and professional growth, through a variety of programs and support at all levels of our organization.
Along with Medavie Health Services, we are part of Medavie — a national health organization with over 6,400 employees. Together, our mission is to improve the wellbeing of Canadians.
Full time, permanent
Moncton, NB or Dartmouth, NS
July 5, 2020
What’s in it for you?
Our Database and Reporting team has an opening for someone who is passionate about MSSQL databases and who cares deeply about the security, stability, and performance of our databases.
Our team currently consists of 6 DBAs, an architect, and a lead. In addition to your direct teammates, you will get to work with people from operational and project teams and you will join an on call rotation (once you are up to speed).
Your every day with us:
What you need to succeed:
- Perform database installs, upgrades, and configuration changes;
- Evaluate, install and configure database software products and related software;
- Establish regular monitoring to ensure we are proactively addressing future concerns;
- Develop automation scripts to create hands-off, repeatable processes;
- Support development and operational support teams in troubleshooting, problem solving, testing, and deploying application releases and changes;
- Read and decipher vendor documentation to determine database requirements;
- Respond to Service Requests and Help Desk Requests within the required service levels and clearly document actions taken;
- Participate in on-call with the ability to be actively working within the required service level; (does the section is green become something like “with the ability to reach a reliable, safe internet connection within the required service level”)
- Follow all processes and remain compliant with all audit standards;
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Computer Science or a related field (or equivalent experience);
- A minimum of five (5) years of database administration experience with MSSQL databases including installing, patching, upgrading, monitoring, and tuning OR five (5) years of Windows OS Server Management or SQL Server management experience;
- Experience scripting in PowerShell;
- A passion for database management;
- (Ideally) experience with other database platforms: Oracle database, MySQL database, Postgres;
- (Ideally) experience with SQL Language, PLSQL, Microsoft SSRS/SSIS/SSAS, Power BI, Tableau, Alteryx, Cognos, Crystal Reports, and Hyperion;
- Experience with Source Control products and processes;
- Experience with Automated Deploy of server components;
- (Ideally) knowledge of ITIL, SOA and RUP methodologies;
- Strong technical aptitude – you learn quickly;
- Problem-solving mindset – you love to dig into an issue, research it, test your theories, solve the problem, and teach others how to do it;
- Ability to recognize risks with a knack for articulating them and finding ways to mitigate them;
- Great communication skills. While our primary language at work is English, being bilingual in French would be a bonus for us.
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Medavie Blue Cross is an equal opportunity employer.
System Administrator, Database, ERP, Oracle, Developer, Technology