Position: Senior Data Engineer/Architect, Digital Analytics
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON
Postmedia is Canada leading media publication company and has been at the forefront of the digital space, representing some of the country’s oldest and best known media brands. With a team of award-winning journalists, innovative product developers, and talented digital marketing professionals, we strive to bring engaging content to millions of people every day whenever, wherever and however they want it. This exceptional breadth of content, reach and scope offer advertisers and marketers compelling digital solutions to effectively reach target audiences.
At Postmedia, we value open communication between our employees and managers. Our mission is to ensure that our employees have the abilities and aspirations to meet business requirements in alignment with our company values. To support the continuous growth of our Postmedia expansion, we are always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our fast growing team!
Do you LOVE SOLVING BIG DATA challenges? Passionate about helping influence product and editorial decisions that impact millions of Canadians each day? Enjoy learning and building ground up processes and continuously optimizing? If yes, we have a job for you!
Postmedia is seeking a talented and highly motivated Senior Data Engineer/Architect with 5+ years of experience to join our team. This role would support the analytics team by designing, building organizing data and optimizing access in a reliable and consistent way. In this role you’d have access to many diverse data sets across digital and offline ecosystems. You will directly see the impact you make on user engagement and business growth.
The Senior Data Engineer/Architect will review and acquire an in-depth understanding of the current application landscape and technical architecture; work with analytics stakeholders to identify opportunities for improvement; and lead the migration path from the current state to the future state.
What you’ll do:
- Partner with the architecture, engineering and development teams to review current state analytic data stores
- Work with analysts, data scientists, product managers and other business stakeholders to define access requirements.
- Design principal architecture and roadmap for analytic data consumers
- Lead development, construction and maintenance of data pipelines. Including integrating external or new datasets into existing data pipelines.
- Continuously monitoring and testing the system to ensure optimized performance. Diagnose and resolve system bottlenecks
- Build data expertise and own data quality and reliability for analytics consumers
- Work with developers and infrastructure team to triage issues and drive resolution
What you’ve done:
- Evaluated data flow and systems. Identified friction points and implemented change to optimize and improve performance
- Developed solutions for diverse and complex business problems. Bonus if they were for Analytics teams and access use cases
- Written scripts, web scraping, calling APIs, writing SQL queries on a variety of platforms
- Leveraged big data tools (e.g. Spark, Pig, Hive, Presto, Hadoop, Impala, etc) to gather and process large amounts of raw data (structured and unstructured) at scale
- Implemented best practices including document principles, policies, standards and governance process; while considering security, performance, scalability and reliability
- Designed or maintained relational databases/multidimensional data warehouse
- Experience in manipulation of diverse data sets from multiple marketing/database platforms. Data sources include: web, mobile, app, media, finance/billing and CRM
- Experience in capacity planning for computation and storage needs
- Experience managing and communicating data warehouse plans to internal clients.
- BS/BA in Technical Field, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, etc
- Experience building and maintaining data pipes
- Proven skill set in business data ETL
- Expert SQL skills
- Expert Python skills
- Knowledgeable about current and future data warehouse trends (LDW) and best practices
Should you be interested in this opportunity please apply with a cover letter and resume.
Application Deadline: December 06, 2019
We thank in advance all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates under consideration will be contacted. Only candidates legally eligible to work in Canada will be considered. No phone calls or agencies please.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all areas of the hiring process. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please make your needs known in advance. Accommodation requests will be provided on an individual basis.
Postmedia Network Inc. is committed to employment equity and an inclusive barrier-free selection process and work environment. Postmedia Network Inc. encourages applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
Job Type: Full-time