Powersmiths is a member of the Socomec SAS corporate family of companies, a global organization with nearly a century of success in providing innovative solutions within the energy industry.
The power conversion market has experienced significant changes on a global scale. Accordingly, Socomec SAS has made a strategic business decision to expand its engineering/product development operations within the North American market, with Powersmiths as a key enabler of success.
Powersmiths provides integrated energy and environmental solutions, and with Socomec SAS, integrated products for energy storage and critical power. Our products are designed for a wide range of applications in the building renewal market space, data centers, power distribution, power management and critical power markets.
Powersmiths’ team of highly skilled professionals has been serving the market for over 20 years. Our customers are located across the USA and in Canada and include universities/colleges; K-12 schools; military; aerospace; US federal state agencies; state, local and municipal governments; healthcare; mission critical and IT data centres; broadcast and telecomm; logistics; and, other leading edge commercial and industrial organizations.
Powersmiths is committed to designing and manufacturing innovative products that serve the growing market in environmental sustainability, clean tech, and energy conservation.
About This Role
As a member company of Socomec SAS, Powersmiths has become the North American hub for integrated power transformation, energy storage, power distribution system design and manufacturing. With access to numerous technology centers beyond North America, Powersmiths is now designing and developing a new line of exciting and innovative products for the global power market.
As a result of our recent integration with Socomec SAS, Powersmiths has new and significant opportunities for growth. This new role will champion and lead a new phase of engineering and product innovation.
This high impact and strategic role will work with senior members of the global organization to inform business decision-making and help determine strategies for customer-centric innovation and business growth.
This role will provide overall leadership and direction to the strong and engaged Engineering / Product Development Team at Powersmiths and will expand that team to meet increasing business demands. A strong, innovative, and dedicated team is in place, along with existing infrastructure.
The team develops systems-based solutions focused on power distribution, power electronics, electro-mechanical design and packaging and cloud-based software. Areas of product specialization include: ultra-efficient low voltage electrical transformers; power distribution units for data centres; energy storage systems; uninterruptible power systems; static transfer switches; metering and sub-metering; and, building information systems.
This new role will report to the Vice President, Technology and will lead the current multidisciplinary team of approximately 14 engineering professionals, growing to over 20 in the next few months. It is expected that the team will expand significantly during the next few years and that the Director, Engineering will have the opportunity to take on an increasing scope of responsibility.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1) Strategic Leadership:
- Collaborate closely with Powersmiths’ VP Technology, Chief Engineer, and global technical teams to determine, communicate, and manage a strategic product development roadmap, in alignment with overall business plans.
- Partner with executive leadership to create a cohesive strategy across our products and brand identity.
- Collaborate with senior leaders to plan strategy, resource allocation, and implementation.
- Provide meaningful and forward-looking information, presentations, and analysis to senior executive teams (e.g. Board of Directors) to support timely and effective decision-making regarding product innovation and business strategies.
- Provide leadership in developing customer-centric solutions; understand customers’ longer-term requirements and help translate those requirements into business opportunities.
- Manage multiple complex engineering projects, involving Powersmiths’ engineering teams plus their interaction with members of Socomec’s global teams.
- Use expert judgment and knowledge of the evolution of the marketplace and products to help enable ongoing success of the business.
- Advance a strong and informed leadership point of view, supported by customer insights, design principles, and industry/market trends.
- Contribute to the preparation of annual budgets and manage performance against agreed upon financial targets.
2) Engineering and People Leadership:
- Provide strategic leadership to the Engineering / Product Development Team at Powersmiths, including oversight of product conceptualization and design.
- Strategically plan for and manage physical resources and engineering professionals engaged in technically specialized phases of product design and development that involve a variety of engineering disciplines. This involves directing major engineering efforts that have substantial impact on current projects, future product development, and customers.
- Collaborate with the Chief Engineer, Sales, Service, Operations, and Manufacturing functions to ensure effective project management, manufacturability, technical support, and UL/CSA/CE certification of products, which meet customer and business requirements.
- Review and optimize engineering operations for the ongoing delivery of customer-centric solutions and the design and development of new products.
- Maintain the current positive, passionate, agile and innovative work environment while planning, scheduling, assigning work, establishing priorities, controlling expenditures, and taking appropriate measures to ensure that work is completed on-schedule, with the highest quality, and within cost estimates.
- Manage the distribution and utilization of resources in response to fluctuating workloads, changing priorities, and unforeseen problems, all in the most efficient manner.
- Provide leadership in creating long-term plans that define resource requirements (e.g. numbers and competencies of employees) to achieve desired business growth.
- Ensure organizational technical readiness—identify gaps in key talent needed to support business plans and develop strategies to address any identified needs.
- Create and monitor a learning culture that improves organizational technical capabilities.
- Lead, develop, mentor, and engage direct reports to consistently meet goals and perform at the level of business excellence.
- Provide effective performance feedback, encouragement, and recognition to all direct reports.
- Maintain a culture that embraces the core values of the company, fostering a positive, innovative working environment
- Consistently demonstrate and reinforce the value of agility as related to product concepts and innovative development
Essential Qualifications, Experience, and Skills
- 15+ years of business experience, with minimum 5 years senior management experience, within the power/power conversion industry
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering; P.Eng. Certification would be an asset
- Masters of Business Administration or equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the business acumen to clearly present concepts and ideas to a wide audience
- Bilingual (English/French) language skills would be an asset
- Strong and successful experience leading and motivating a team of multi-disciplinary engineering professionals designing innovative and value-added products within a complex technical environment
- Excellent leadership, influencing, and negotiation skills.
- Consistently demonstrates the highest level of integrity in all interactions and decision-making.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization and customers; able to quickly gain credibility and trust.
- Appreciation of the growing market and customers that Powersmiths serves
- Excellent project management skills; adept at managing multiple complex projects concurrently
- Encourages and demonstrates accountability; focused on meeting goals and deliverables on time and at the highest quality level possible.
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful, innovative and energetic; demonstrates a passion for results and a winning outlook.
- Consistently demonstrates a passion for the value of agility as related to product concepts and innovative development; thrives in an environment which is dynamic, entrepreneurial and innovative
- Is client-centric; proactively anticipates and actions business needs.
- Successfully establishes and maintains long-term relationships.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills, mentoring skills, and collaboration abilities.
- High degree of comfort in using business/financial information, reporting, and analytic tools.
- Must possess and maintain an unrestricted valid driver’s license.
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada without company sponsorship.
- Ability to travel to international destinations; must possess and maintain a valid passport for international travel.
Powersmiths offers competitive salaries and a group health benefits plan.
In this high-impact and senior strategic role, work as part of an innovative international team, champion new products and initiatives, grow and mentor a highly engaged agile engineering team, and have a meaningful impact on a growing and entrepreneurial company.
Continue to advance your career in an environment that promotes customer-centric innovation, the pursuit of excellence and embraces diversity and respect, all while making a valuable contribution towards clean tech, energy conservation, and environmental sustainability.
Learn more at www.powersmiths.com
If you believe you have the necessary skills and experience for this role, else upload your résumé and a detailed cover letter.
Please reply to this ad through Indeed only, which makes it easier for us to communicate with you.
Upon request, we wil provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
We sincerely thank all those who apply. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Management: 5 years (Required)
- Engineering: 10 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Greater Toronto Area, ON (Preferred)
- driver's license (Required)
- French (Preferred)