Are you interested in helping to create a Brighter World?
McMaster University fuels curiosity, inquiry and discovery. Every day, we push the boundaries of knowledge through our world-class, interdisciplinary research and our ground-breaking approaches to teaching and learning. Our students, researchers and staff are among the best and brightest. We are seeking an equally talented Manager, Marketing – International Recruitment to help develop and build McMaster's marketing strategy to support our ambitious international student recruitment goals.
University Advancement at McMaster is an integrated department that encompasses the areas of Communications & Public Affairs, Marketing, Development, Alumni Advancement, Stewardship, Volunteer Engagement and Advancement Services & Operations; areas that coordinate their activities and work as a team to build relationships, reputation and resources. It is our values that help us to achieve our vision and mission; Integrity, Quality, Respect, Service, Strategy and Teamwork.
Together, we enable McMaster to advance human and societal health and well-being.
Inspired by McMaster’s tradition of collaboration and innovation, we strengthen relationships, reputation and resources in pursuit of our goal to be the best.
University Advancement’s approach to realizing our mission and vision reflects these core values and principles: Integrity, Quality, Respect, Service, Strategy and Teamwork.
The Manager, Marketing – International Recruitment will sucessfully develop and lead key aspects of the University’s international recruitment marketing and engagement strategy by facilitating partnerships with University marketing and recruitment practitioners across the university, developing communities of practice, and contributing as an experienced member of the marketing team. The Marketing Manager plays a key role in supporting all the activities associated with attracting the best and brightest international students and building a strong global brand. These activities are strategic and designed to promote a positive public image of the University to all international audiences including: prospective students, parents, guidance counsellors, the media, alumni, government officials and opinion leaders in both the internal and external community. The position regularly works with the fellow University managers and leaders, volunteers, external partners and agencies and contributes to the overall strategic marketing direction of the project.
- Provides a leadership role in the development and integration of marketing programs that support the University’s international recruitment strategy
- Develops marketing plans and collateral across a variety of platforms, including Microsoft Dynamics and its related automated marketing journeys
- Researches, identifies, and facilitates international partnerships with organizations to expand and attract the brightest students from key international markets
- Responsible for leading aspects of international media planning, advertising and vendor management to support the overall program goals
- Responsible for relationship development with key audiences such as faculty, staff and students
- Stewardship of the brand ensuring creative consistency and value propositions are well-defined and communicated
- Strong ambassador and relationship builder who can work with stakeholders across the University to integrate international marketing efforts
- Plays a key role in the strategic planning for international marketing and communications programs and projects
- Responsible for developing, implementing and measuring the impact of parts of the strategic marketing plans for the University in collaboration with other marketing leaders
- Is a leader in digital evolution and is responsible for overseeing a wide range of digital projects and properties, their planning, successful execution and project management, and measurement
- Lead and mentor members of the marketing team, when required
- Committed to delivering the highest level of service to the University community and to building a network of strong relationships across the organization
- Ensures that McMaster administrators, faculty, staff, and volunteers are equipped to deal effectively with internal and external marketing and communication issues and provides strategic advice on issues management communication.
- Actively promotes internal and external collaboration and partnerships to strengthen the University’s reputation with a focus on delivering stellar service and support
- Works with members of Communications and Public Affairs team to plan, implement, coordinate and evaluate aspects of program within the portfolio
- A University degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
- A McMaster degree is an asset
- 4-5 years of related experience working on an international recruitment strategy for a top tier academic institution is highly valued.
- Significant experience as a marketing, media planning, advertising, communications, public relations or marketing manager.
- Strong digital marketing fundamentals
- Demonstrated experience working on an integrated marketing plan
- Experience of working with a CRM (ideally Microsoft Dynamics) and building automated marketing and communication journeys
- Proven experience building a brand across key international markets
- Sound judgement and decision making
- Demonstrated success in marketing initiatives and management
- Demonstrated outstanding communication (oral and written skills)
- A strong background, understanding and experience in the digital environment and ability to anticipate technological shifts and their relevant applications
- Project management, including all forms of production
- Strong service approach in working with people both inside and outside of organization
- Strong Facilitation skills
- Demonstrated management of employees and budgets
- Volunteer management skills
- Microsoft suite of software – including word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel) and presentation (Power Point) programs
- Comfortable in both Windows and Mac environment
- Programs for web management (including content management systems – WordPress, – Google analytics, Google AdWords)
- University Advancement policies and procedures
- McMaster Alumni Association policies and procedures
- McMaster University policies and guidelines
- McMaster’s Brand Standards and marketing and communication strategies
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey - Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.