For the past 38 years, the Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC) has been the voice of and leading advocate for Canada’s independent documentary community. With 6 chapters and close to 800 members from coast to coast, DOC conducts vital research and advocacy work to ensure a healthy ecosystem for documentary production; we run professional development and mentorship programs; we create forums for exchange with other filmmakers, thought leaders, funders, broadcasters, festivals, and other community partners. We are a community of mutual support that connects and strengthens documentarians across the country and a site of documentary culture that drives critical thinking about the ethics, practice, and aesthetics of documentary storytelling.
This is an 8-week paid internship through the Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible, candidates must be between the age of 15 and 30 at the start of employment. They must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or designated as refugees under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. For more details on eligibility, click the link here: https://bit.ly/2YQ4hvO.
We are currently seeking a full-time student or recent graduate to work as a Social Media and Communications Assistant at the Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC). In this role, the successful candidate is expected to contribute to the success of DOC by providing a range of communications services in support of the National office activities.
DOC maintains a small close-knit team of employees, which will give the employee the opportunity to experience office culture and build strong connections with their co-workers in a virtual setting.
WHAT THE CANDIDATE WILL DO
· Assist with DOC’s social media accounts (FB, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube) and the development of a regular publishing calendar.
· Assist with website communications - including researching of resources relevant to DOC membership and updating/uploading content, as necessary.
· Assist with member communications, newsletters, and surveys.
· Help maintain paper and electronic files related to DOC’s communication activities.
· Other communications and administrative tasks, as needed.
· Assist with virtual event planning and coordination, as needed.
WHAT THE CANDIDATE WILL BRING
· 1+ years of progressively responsible social media and communications experience within an office environment.
· Excellent knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and social media best practices.
· Experience with Buffer, CMS website uploads and Mailchimp.
· Excellent communication skills (verbal/written/comprehension)
· High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
· Ability to prioritize tasks & a strong desire to learn.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Sensitive to issues of confidentiality and a high sense of urgency.
· Ability to work effectively in an intimate, fast-paced – yet remote - team.
· Keen interest in the documentary film world.
RELEVANT FIELDS OF STUDY
- Students will be exposed to industry professionals, funders, etc.
- Students will be exposed to regulatory policy, industry news, etc.
- Students will get to pitch and write stories in the monthly newsletters
- Students will get to conduct research on industry-related issues
- Students will have the opportunity to network with journalists and documentary filmmakers
- Students will work closely with the Communications Coordinator to provide all national communications for the Documentary Organization of Canada
- Students will experience working directly under the supervision of the Executive Director, shadowing the Communications Coordinator in supporting the completion of her duties.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may submit their resume and cover letter on Indeed by Sunday, July 19th at 11:59 PM.
DOC would like to like to sincerely thank all applicants for your expressed interest in our organization; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
DOC is committed to accessible employment practices and is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from members of the BIPOC and LGBTQ2SI communities as well as persons with disabilities.
We look forward to you joining our team!
The Documentary Organization of Canada
Application deadline: 2020-07-19
Expected start date: 2020-07-27
Job Types: Temporary, Internship
Salary: $16.00 per hour
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- No Weekends
This position is a Work from Home role due to COVID-19.
- Communications: 1 year (Required)
- Social Media Marketing: 1 year (Required)
- Writing/Editing: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- English (Required)
- French (Preferred)