Job title :
STAFF ANESTHESIA ASSISTANT
KELOWNA GENERAL HOSPITAL
RELIEF FULL TIME
Interior Health’s Kelowna General Hospital (KGH) invites applications for the role of Staff Anesthesia Assistant (AA). KGH is looking for an adaptable, knowledgeable Staff Anesthesia Assistant with experience in performing technical duties related to anesthesia, such as testing, preparing and maintaining anesthesia equipment and supplies; and performing clinical duties related to assisting Anesthesiologists with the induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anesthesia.
KGH is a tertiary hospital and is the region’s main referral centre offering a full range of healthcare services and consisting of 400+ beds and performing approximately 12,000 elective surgical cases per year. KGH’s Operating Room supports 11 types of services and on average conducts 50 surgeries per day. We have a great, supportive team of nine Staff AAs.
As a member of the KGH Operating Room Team, you will assist the Anesthesiologists with patient preparation and the induction, maintenance and recovery phases of anesthesia by performing duties such as patient assessment, positioning, explaining procedures/equipment, preparing, attaching and/or inserting invasive and non-invasive monitoring equipment, airway management, intubation, and gas adjustment, as requested.
This position is to provide coverage until December 2020, or until the return of incumbent. Shifts will be scheduled Days (05:30 to 13:30, 06:00 to 14:00, 07:00 to 15:00) and Evenings (11:00 to 19:00, 14:00 to 22:00) with on-call required Evenings, Nights and Weekends. This is a position eligible for Interior Health’s employer-paid benefit package and enrolment in Pension Plan.
If you are looking for the opportunity to join our core group of Staff AAs, grow your Anesthesia Assistant skills and are passionate about working in a fast-paced, exciting environment, this is the opportunity for you!
Our state of the art Centennial Building opened in 2017 and boasts a total of 360,000 square feet, expanded Emergency and Ambulatory Care Departments, modern Operating Rooms and a rooftop helipad. KGH is also a teaching centre for the Southern Medical Program affiliated with University of British Columbia (UBC). With the state-of-the-art Interior Heart & Surgical Centre, new medical inpatient units in the Centennial Building, dedicated psychiatry units for youth and adults, a modern maternity ward, enhanced laboratory and clinical departments (i.e. Dr. Walter Anderson Building), and an academic campus that serves as a satellite for UBC Medical School, KGH has become one of BC’s leading healthcare centres.
Kelowna’s sunny weather, spectacular scenery, lakes, canyons and many attractions are the perfect combination for those who enjoy an active lifestyle and an urban setting. Kelowna residents and visitors enjoy a vibrant cultural life including a professional symphony, annual festivals, and art exhibits. Downtown Kelowna offers a spectacular landscape of lake, mountains and parks, with a wide range of cafés, continental and ethnic restaurants and noisy nightclubs to choose from as well as unique shops and boutiques, heritage buildings and modern architecture, art galleries and museums, music and live theatre, and even a symphony and ballet. Golf courses, orchards, pristine lakes and numerous surrounding vineyards make Kelowna (and nearby West Kelowna and Winfield/Lake Country) a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. World-class skiing and snowboarding is only a short drive away at Big White – where Canada’s largest ski-in/ski-out village offers a host of winter activities, fine dining and shopping.
Education, Training and Experience:
Skills and Abilities:
- Graduation from a recognized school of Respiratory Therapy plus three years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Completion of an accredited post-graduate Anesthesia Assistant diploma program.
- Current certification with the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT).
- Eligible for registration with the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT) and CSRT.
- Current certificates in CPR, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), and Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP).
- Teaching: Ability to teach clients and others both one-on-one and in groups.
- Knowledge Integration: Integrates best practice and current research evidence to support professional practice decisions and actions.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with clients, families, the public, medical staff and the members of the interdisciplinary team using, oral written and computer communication means. Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve conflict.
- Critical Thinking: Demonstrated ability to integrate and evaluate pertinent data (from multiple sources) to problem-solve and make decisions effectively. Applies the problem solving process demonstrating critical thinking and decision making skills using a systems approach.
- Management: Demonstrated ability to organize work, set objectives and establish priorities. Manages time and resources, implements activities to promote cooperation among the interdisciplinary team, supervises responsibilities of others, and collaborates across disciplines.
- Leadership: Promotes staff morale, engagement, and risk-taking. Demonstrates creative planning for change and innovations, implementation of IH policies or other protocols, and ongoing professional development of self and others.
- Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and a commitment to excellence in the provision of client care.
- Equipment: Demonstrated computer skills including the use of Meditech and Windows based programs. Demonstrated data analysis skills including appropriate data analysis and reporting tools. Demonstrated ability in the use of e-mail and word processing. Ability to operate other related equipment as required in the specific practice area.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.