Night Shift Production Supervisor - Steel Manufacturing
The Welded Tube of Canada Group of Companies is a diversified steel pipe and tube producer with annual production capacity of 700,000 tons.
Headquartered in Concord, Ontario, Canada, Welded Tube owns and operates five manufacturing and finishing facilities strategically located in Canada and the U.S. to ideally serve the North American marketplace.
Founded in 1970, Welded Tube has three divisions: Energy Tubulars (OCTG), ERW Mechanical and HSS.
Through continued investment in state of the art equipment, technology and operating systems, Welded Tube and its employees are recognized as industry leaders in each of their three business groups. Their commitment to providing excellence in product quality, service and ultimate value to a diversified customer base is unassailable.
Our success has been possible through our number one asset: the Welded Tube team. We employ more than 700 employees across Canada and the US.
Our goal is to attract and retain the best talented, reliable and motivated individuals who are committed to upholding the standard of excellence Welded Tube has come to be recognized for by our industry.
We offer a safe working environment with the opportunity for career growth and development, along with a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Are you ready to be part of Welded Tube’s professional, world-class team? Apply today!
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Shift Supervisor is responsible for supervising and coordinating the day-to-day mill operations while ensuring compliance with production, quality, safety, inventory, transportation, security and customer service standards and achieving the appropriate level of volume within specified time limits, in support of the company’s goals and objectives.
This will be accomplished by getting results through others by communicating, coordinating and ensuring that all employees understand what their objectives are including but not exclusive to; compliance with the production plan, coordinated product movement through the entire process stream, product quality, and production activities to accomplish the business objectives safely and in compliance with all operating procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Follow and expedite all production, quality, safety, inventory, transportation and security standards, policies and procedures.
2. Support the company vision of valuing employees and respecting each other.
3. Creating and nurturing an environment that promotes and values employee engagement and ownership for their results. Do it right the first time.
4. Crew Management: staffing, rotation, ensure sufficient depth (training), minimize and leverage downtime.
5. Record all quality issues and provide internal error reporting.
6. Lean Manufacturing – controlling waste (unnecessary downtime, reworks, etc.).
7. 5S – Walk the talk. Ensure the work environment reflects this philosophy (i.e. housekeeping, no debris or water on floor, no cigarette butts outside of threading/change room).
8. Communicate job expectations and coach employees to ensure all health, safety and company policies and procedures are followed.
9. Oversee employee attendance by maintaining start, stop, lunch and coffee break times. Provide summary or daily attendance to management.
10. Counsel and discipline employees as required and document information. Dispense discipline - Verbal, Written, if necessary send person home until they are contacted by their Manager. Keep Manager/HR informed of the details to ensure consistency.
11. Liaise with customers, suppliers and various departments.
12. Provide management with shift reports and statistics on a regular basis.
13. Communicate work environment concerns /issues to Plant Managers/Director.
14. Communicate important information to your peer group (relief) so they are well aware of the plan and any issues before they start their shift.
15. Proactively identify and react to issues before they impact production (i.e. Insufficient couplings, consumables, tooling, etc.).
16. Ensure waste inventory levels are monitored and reported to the Plant Manager to ensure they are controlled and addressed in a timely manner.
17. Proactive vs reactive in terms of equipment reliability – submit MEX work orders.
18. Control downtime (maintenance and operations).
19. Ensure Process Control Plan Compliance.
20. Increase cycle time (pace, identify and eliminate bottlenecks).
21. Ensure accident Investigation reporting is complete and accurate.
22. Ensure compliance with company policies (PPE, Lockout, Smoking, No cell phones, etc.
23. Adhere to and comply with all applicable statutory and employment legislation and company policies and procedures.
24. Downtime Control – if the mill goes down ensure employees respond to minimize downtime, while always ensuring the health and safety of the workforce.
25. Ensure all areas inform you immediately of downtime greater than 20 minutes or quality issues that will result in an abnormal level of reapplication or rework.
26. Partner with other Leadership on shift (Lead Hands) to ensure plan is executed with excellence.
27. Lead and participate in continuous improvement activities and problem-solving initiatives.
28. Perform additional duties as assigned by management.
29. Employee Evaluations – Provide input to Manager for employee performance evaluations.
30. Execute daily run plan.
The position is primarily night shift work – however applicants must be available and flexible to work overtime, occasional weekends and also to work a rotating shift schedule on occasion to cover for absence, vacation, and other business requirements.
Primary Shift (Nights): 10:30 pm to 6:00 am Monday through Friday
Day Shift: 6:00 am to 2:20 pm Monday through Friday
Afternoon Shift: 2:20 pm to 10:40 am Monday through Friday
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Minimum relevant College diploma.
2. Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
3. Highly effective supervisory skills and techniques.
4. Proven knowledge of manufacturing, handling and shipping legislation.
5. Requires strong understanding of working in a unionized environment.
6. Requires understanding of inventory and inventory control processes.
7. Working knowledge of AS400 ERP system an asset.
8. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and Outlook.
1. Professional, cooperative attitude and behaviour.
2. Excellent communication skills with ability to express ideas clearly both verbally and written.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to interact with front line workers, management, suppliers and customers, and function as an effective team member.
4. Excellent leadership, supervisory and team-building skills.
5. An ability to motivate, train and support a work team both on an individual and group basis.
6. Excellent problem solving skills following effective and proven methodology such as Root Cause Analysis.
7. Strong decision making skills and exercising good judgement.
8. Ability to prioritize tasks, work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
9. Ability to exercise a high level of discretion with sensitive, confidential information.
10. Ability to work independently and be resourceful.
11. Excellent organization, planning and time management skills.
12. Detail oriented, efficient and accurate.
13. Strong computer and keyboarding skills.
Welded Tube of Canada Corp. is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment and selection process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $70,000.00-$80,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Manufacturing: 5 years (required)
- Supervising experience: 5 years (required)