Posting #: 2020-854016
Position: Health, Safety & Wellness Specialist
Department: Human Resources – Health, Safety & Wellness
Status: Permanent Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday, days
Site: Oakville (travel to Milton & Georgetown sites is required).
Apply Online at Halton Healthcare Website: https://www.recruitingsite.com/csbsites/haltonhealthcare/JobDescription.asp?SuperCategoryCode=13742&JobNumber=854016&lang=en
At Halton Healthcare you will thrive in a health care culture and environment that embraces inclusion, high performance and flexibility with ‘exemplary patient care, always’ at the heart of everything we do.
We empower our people to be the very best they can be so they can make a difference for our patients and the communities we serve. It is an exciting time to join Halton Healthcare with the completion of our major redevelopment projects. Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital opened its doors in December 2015 and Milton District Hospital completed a significant addition to its clinical space in October 2017.
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions.
Reporting to the Safety Team Lead, the Health, Safety & Wellness Specialist is a member of the Health, Safety & Wellness Team and supports the development, delivery and monitoring of employee safety and prevention programs in alignment with legislation, best practices, and departmental and organizational goals and objectives. The focus of this position is to support organizational compliance with occupational health, safety and environmental legislation, guidelines and standards.
This is what you will be doing:
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance of corporate health and safety programs to ensure that Halton Healthcare complies with all Occupational Health and Safety regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of injury prevention strategies and safety awareness initiatives.
- Reviews all incident reports and inspection reports and initiates necessary follow-up action in consultation with internal stakeholders to mitigate workplace risks.
- Responsible for monitoring occupational health and safety data management for leading and lagging key performance indicators including but not limited to monthly, quarterly and annual injury statistics.
- Responsible for updating and maintenance of occupational health and safety databases such as MSDS Online and Parklane.
- Monitoring accidents and claim trends requiring further attention.
- Conducts research on emerging occupational health and safety issues.
- In conjunction with the Safety Team Lead, assist with the development and facilitation of occupational health and safety training programs related to employee health and safety.
- Lead the Respiratory Protection Program, which includes conducting respirator fit testing, the Hearing Conservation Program and the Occupational Health Surveillance program as appropriate (e.g. Asbestos Control) and others as needed.
- In conjunction with the Safety Team Lead, contributes to the maintenance of corporate occupational health surveillance programs for regulated and controlled substances, biological exposures, etc.
- In conjunction with the Safety Team Lead, participate in the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Health and Safety Excellence Program.
- Acts as a resource for the receipt and resolution of Occupational Health and Safety inquiries received from all departments.
- Responsible for coordinating and/or conducting accident investigations for all lost time incidents, assisting with assessing problems and potential hazards, reviewing and advising on potential solutions, and making recommendations for improvements.
This is what you will need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavours to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of compassion, accountability, respect.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline such as Occupational Health and Safety, Kinesiology, or Life Sciences is required.
- Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) required.
- Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety required.
- 3-5 years related experience in health and safety management required.
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of all relevant occupational health and safety and relevant environmental legislation, standards and guidelines required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Visio required.
- Current certification in first aid and CPR preferred.
- Experience using Parklane software is preferred.
- Working knowledge of WSIB, Workwell Audit preparation and Safety Group compliance preferred.
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, team building and presentation skills.
- An understanding of workflow process analysis, incident investigation and risk management principles required.
- Excellent planning and organization skills with an ability to handle multiple competing projects with tight deadlines.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking and negotiation skills.
- Must be physically able to do the job.
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required.
- Experience working in a healthcare setting considered an asset.
Date Posted: January 16, 2020
Internal applications due by: January 23, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. , We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.
Reference ID: 854016
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Health and Safety Management: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Occupational Health and Safety (Required)
- Certified Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) (Required)