Elves Special Needs Society (Elves) is a non-profit organization that supports children, youth, and adults with severe to profound disabilities through Educational, and Community Access Day and Respite Programs. Elves operates two locations and serves approximately 450 individuals annually. We are seeking a Registered Nurse who will work directly with Elves’ School Program while also supporting Adult Program operations when needed. As a member of a multidisciplinary team, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience with a complex population and be willing to support both program participants, and the staff who are serving individuals to optimize programming and ensure a safe work environment.
This position is Monday to Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. There is no shift work.
Elves is seeking to fill this position within the next month.
· Manages, plans, implements, delivers, and evaluates community and/or public health, primary care, within all facilities/programs operated by Elves Special Needs Society, ensuring nursing care and practice standards are being implemented in the delivery of these programs and services.
· Provides professional support, leadership, mentoring, advice on policy, practice, and programs, and direct supervision to nurses, educational or instructional teams, and administrative employees, including assignment of duties and assessment of quality of work.
· Provides professional support, advice, assistance, and consultation on all nursing matters to Elves’ leadership, nurses, and communities to build capacity.
· Applies and utilizes key nursing knowledge and critical thinking to choose options and to plan, implement, and evaluate programs and interventions to address health issues, taking into account relevant evidence, legislation, and regulations and policies. Collects, assesses, analyzes, and applies information from various data sources to make evidence-informed decisions for nursing services, assessment of health needs, program planning, and priority setting for the community with individuals, families, groups, and community leadership and interprets information for professional, non-professional, and community audiences including staff, families and caregivers .
· Utilizes evidence and research to influence health policies, programs, and practices and synthesizes nursing and health knowledge from a broad range of theories, models, and frameworks to address the health status of populations, inequities in health, determinants of health, strategies for health promotion, disease and injury prevention, health protection, case management, as well as factors that influence delivery and use of nursing and health services.
· Advocates for public policy and services that promote and protect the health and well-being of individuals, families, groups, and communities.
· Involves individuals, families, groups, and communities as active partners to take action to address health inequities and foster a self-management care approach for chronic conditions.
· Collaborates and shares knowledge with other members of the health team.
· Leads and participates in collaborative, interdisciplinary, and partnerships to enhance the health of individuals, families, groups, and populations within Elves’ community.
· Manages the health facility team engaged in the delivery of integrated community health programs by assessing community health needs, coordinating, scheduling, and assigning work, authorizing leave and setting priorities, monitoring work, evaluating performance and initiating corrective action, initiating requests for staffing, resolving staff relations, providing advice on professional development and recommendations for training.
· Informs community health nurses and other health unit staff of health and safety requirements at the work site.
· Collaborates with visiting health professionals, Outreach Clinics and Occupational Health and Safety Professionals, including but not limited to Public Health Inspectors, Fire Inspectors, Home Nutritional Support Team, Physiatrist, and Psychiatrists in the treatment of children, youth, and adults with severe disabilities .
· Following a care plan established by physicians or community experts to provide safety and health education to individuals, their families, and Elves’ staff regarding tube feeding, tracheostomy care, transfers, pericare, wound care, ensuring infection control, and monitoring nutritional intake.
· Performs other related duties as assigned by Program Managers or Elves’ Executive Director.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from a recognized university or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
· Successful completion of approved training in public health nursing or approved training in obstetrics, mental health, or some other specialty.
· Two (2) years nursing experience.
· Current practicing registration with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA).
· Requires a valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
· Ability to read, write, and follow oral and written directions in English consistent with the job requirements.
· Current Criminal Record Check (within the past 6 months).
· Current First Aid and CPR Certification.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
· Knowledge of, and ability to apply, an understanding of complex medical and
Neurodevelopmental, dual diagnosis and severe physical or intellectual profiles, cultural principles and protocols in an educational or day program environment.
· Ability to treat children, youth, and adults with respect and dignity and the ability to respect the boundaries of a therapeutic relationship.
· Knowledge of nursing which includes the nursing process, conceptual frameworks of nursing, theories, and principles of nursing practice.
· Ability to be flexible and adapt to new situations.
· Must be proficient in English, both written and spoken.
· Familiarity of diverse cultures and backgrounds, and the understanding of how
culture impacts communication patterns and attitudes, and approaches to health issues.
· Experience and knowledge with mental health first aid and best practices, is beneficial.
· Problem solving techniques/skills.
· Knowledge of public health models and concepts to work effectively with other health disciplines internally and externally, and to integrate nursing plans and strategies with other health plans.
· Knowledge of advanced clinical nursing practice for the development of policies or guidelines to support delivery of treatment services, including current clinical treatment practices, principles, techniques, disease symptoms, and accident indicators.
Elves will be receiving applications until October 21, 2020.
We thank those who are submit their information for reference. However, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 2020-10-31
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $35.00-$40.00 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
To keep Elves' employees safe, we have PPE, gowns, masks, shields, hand sanitizer, thermometers, self assessment tools.
- Nursing: 2 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)