Central Zone, Halifax Infirmary Robie Street Entrance - QEII
60079304 PHAR Pharmacy Clinical Support
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Healthcare Bargaining Unit - NSGEU
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
The position of Clinical Support Pharmacy Practice Assistant is responsible for the coordination of clerical and technical components of clinical pharmacy services in collaboration with the clinical pharmacist(s). The Clinical Support Technician will coordinate workflow including preparation of daily patient profiles (in collaboration with unit clerks and/or nurses), tracking of patient throughput relative to clinical pharmacist activities (e.g. admissions, transfers, discharge of patients), electronic order entry into the Pharmacy information system of orders previously reviewed by the clinical pharmacist, gathering relevant information under direction of the clinical pharmacist, ongoing communication with central drug preparation area and the clinic nurses to streamline timing of drug preparation and patient administration, forwarding of drug approval forms verified by the clinical pharmacist, and other duties as the collaborative practice evolves.
- Grade XII plus completion of a recognized Pharmacy Technician/Technology Program (accredited program preferred) or equivalent experience (one year full-time experience as a hospital pharmacy technician OR two years’ experience as a community pharmacy technician)
- Licensure in Nova Scotia as a Pharmacy Technician (NSCP) is an asset
- Two years’ of hospital technician experience in a teaching hospital is required
- Knowledge of the role of clinical pharmacists in direct patient care and drug therapies specific to the clinical area
- Familiarity with the pharmacy IT system
- Knowledge of hospital IT systems (HPF, Centricity, OPIS)
- Strong organizational skills and proven attention to detail
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills, effective scheduling skills, strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology, inventory control and record keeping
- Demonstrated ability to perform mathematical calculations related to medications
- Knowledge of the law and regulations pertaining to the receipt, storage and distribution of prescription and narcotic drugs
- Basic typing skills or computer/keyboard experience; skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent, Full-time position; 75 hours bi-weekly
$21.6346 - $24.5079 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit - NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/