Our award-winning team is growing, and Group 161 is hiring a Controller to be based out of our Richmond Office. Group 161 represents a diverse group of companies including Atelier Pacific Architecture, Barnett Dembek Architecture and DF Architecture. We offer a collaborative, team-oriented environment with opportunities for growth and continued professional development.
About the Position:
We are open to candidates looking for either a Part-Time or a Full-Time role.
We are seeking an experienced and detail-oriented Controller to join our architectural company. As the Controller, you will oversee the financial operations, reporting, and analysis of the firm. You will be responsible for managing financial transactions, implementing internal controls, preparing financial statements, and providing strategic financial guidance to support the company's growth and profitability.
- Oversee all aspects of financial management, including budgeting, forecasting, cash flow management, and financial analysis.
- Develop and implement financial policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure compliance and safeguard company assets.
Monitor financial performance, identify areas of improvement, and provide recommendations to optimize financial efficiency.
- Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Prepare timely and accurate financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Conduct financial analysis to identify trends, variances, and key performance indicators (KPIs) to support decision-making and strategic planning.
Present financial reports to management, partners, and stakeholders, highlighting key findings and providing insights.
- Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Lead the annual budgeting process, collaborating with department heads to develop comprehensive budgets aligned with strategic objectives.
Prepare financial forecasts and models to support business planning, identify potential risks and opportunities, and guide resource allocation decisions.
- Tax Compliance and Reporting:
- Ensure compliance with all tax laws and regulations, including preparation and submission of tax returns and filings.
Coordinate with external tax advisors and auditors as necessary to ensure accurate and timely completion of tax-related activities.
- Financial Operations:
- Oversee day-to-day financial operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing, invoicing, and payroll functions.
- Manage banking relationships, cash management, and banking transactions, ensuring optimal cash flow and liquidity management.
Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. CPA designation preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in financial management and accounting roles.
- Experience in the architecture, engineering, or construction industry is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, financial reporting standards, and financial analysis techniques.
- Proficiency in financial modeling, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Familiarity with tax laws, regulations, and compliance requirements.
- Ability to analyze financial data, identify trends, and provide strategic insights to support decision-making and drive business performance.
- Proactive approach to financial planning, risk management, and identifying opportunities for operational improvement.
- Experience with accounting software (e.g., QuickBooks, Sage, or similar) and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to work with complex financial data.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to think critically and solve problems.
What We Offer:
- Competitive wages based on experience;
- Amazing Extended Health, Vision and Dental benefits;
- Group RRSP Plan;
- Paid Christmas break;
- Yearly Bonuses;
- Social Fridays and an Annual Holiday Party!
Group 161 is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial, and local laws. We are also committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected will be contacted.