In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Oversees, operates, controls and maintains a thermal energy power plant by operating, repairing and carrying out preventative maintenance on buildings, mechanical and electrical systems and items such boilers, thermal distribution systems and appliances, air conditioning units, emergency power and other related equipment of the facility in compliance with applicable codes and regulations; supervises Power Engineers and other designated staff; performs various administrative duties such as assisting with budget preparation and formulation of department policies and procedures.
1. Supervises 2nd and 3rd Class Power Engineers and other designated staff by performing duties such as scheduling and coordinating work assignments, identifying posting requirements, initiating appropriate paperwork, evaluating employee performance, determining related training and orientation requirements, facilitating resolution to workplace conflicts; obtaining approval for overtime, participating in the recruitment and selection of new staff including hiring recommendations in accordance with established procedures.
2. Plans, coordinates and controls a variety of maintenance and construction activities by reviewing work requests with user departments, estimating labour and material costs and availability; schedules project activities, examining the physical plant, planning anticipated upgrades and ensuring appropriate follow-up.
3. Oversees and updates standards/procedures and training manuals by conferring with industry colleagues, identifying new trends/processes, referencing applicable codes and regulations, writing training protocols and drafting standards/procedures for approval to ensure safety practices and procedures are followed.
4. Supervises the work of outside contractors by providing input regarding contract specifications, coordinating and inspecting work to ensure adherence to specifications and other facility requirements; monitors expenditures and makes recommendations regarding budget by recording requisitions and reconciling to monthly statements, evaluating and ordering equipment/supplies; monitors expenditures and makes recommendations regarding the budget for assigned area.
5. Operates thermal generation equipment and distribution system such as steam, hot water heating boilers, expansible fluid and air conditioning system, including starting up and shutting down boilers and related pumps, fans, air compressors and pneumatic systems; monitors and records meter and gauge readings to ensure distribution of steam/air heating to designated areas.
6. Monitors and adjusts physical plant and heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems by operating a variety of mechanical and/or other electronic control systems; performs tasks such as altering systems operating parameters and schedules; repairs and calibrates various instruments for steam, hot water and HVAC systems; maintains appropriate activity logs.
7. Establishes and monitors preventative maintenance program for the physical plant including mechanical and electrical systems by planning and utilizing computerized tools, coordinating activities and monitoring schedules to ensure completion pursuant to established codes/standards.
8. Maintains an inventory of supplies, equipment and tools; completes associated reports and records; evaluates/recommends purchase or related equipment and supplies; requisitions supplies and equipment, as needed.
9. Coaches team members by clarifying role requirements, discussing progress and facilitating the establishment of individual and team goals; assesses employee progress and provides employee feedback to the Manager/Chief; gathers information regarding employee performance and forwards information to the Manager/Chief.
10. Monitors and adjusts chemical treatment systems; performs preventative and demand maintenance on items such as steam and hot water boilers and heating, expansible fluids, ventilating and air conditioning systems by lubricating, repairing, replacing or installing equipment and/or parts such as pumps, fans, compressors, heaters, refractories, pneumatic systems, valve, bearings and seals.
11. Tests and maintains auxiliary power generators and repairs/adjusts as required; performs tests on boiler systems such as combustion analysis, water treatment and steam efficiency analysis; maintains, repairs, replaces and extends steam piping systems including components of the physical plant such as expansion joints, valves, steam traps and other related system parts.
12. Answers service and emergency calls for systems such as fire protection, medical air, vacuum, sterilizers; resets systems, assesses and performs required repairs and/or contacts appropriate person according to established procedures.
13. Ensures compliance with various codes and regulations applying to power engineering by providing direction in relation to plant safety to all persons working in the facility.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training & Experience
Certificate of competency as a 2nd Class Power Engineer recognized by the Province of BC. Six (6) years' recent related experience including one (1) year in a supervisory position or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and drawings
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to supervise