Under the direction of the Technical Superintendent, and the guidance of the Lead hand, the Marine Technician will contribute to the success of SAAM Towage by providing technical support and service related to the functionality, monitoring and maintenance of equipment for all SAAM Towage Vessels and associated equipment (across our locations), aiming to ensure the highest standards of safety while minimizing down time.
Some of the Job functions for this role will be:
- Conduct planned maintenance and repairs to Vessel systems ensuring the proper and safe running of all tugs.
o Propulsion systems
o Power generation & Distribution
o Domestic systems (HVAC, sewage treatment, fresh water, etc.)
o Compressed air systems
o Fuel & Lubricating oil systems
o Winches & Towing equipment
- Responds to troubleshooting requests, providing initial diagnosis, and determining the priority and suitable solution weighing in the effects on crew safety and possibility of further equipment damage.
- Research and source specialty components for Vessel systems
- Assists with daily operations of the maintenance facility, ensuring organization, cleanliness (tools and facilities) and conduct walk arounds to identify potential failures to minimize down time of the vessels.
- Complies with all regulatory and company policies, with special regards to safety and environmental protection.
- When required, oversees vendors, suppliers and contractors (both trades and equipment) for larger jobs (refits, major modifications) to ensure work is done according to industry and company standards.
- Participates in all Safety and environmental drills and inspections, toolbox talks and other recommended training and is trained to be part of the facility Emergency Response Team.
- Completes service records and repair documentation to facilitate the follow up of preventive maintenance and equipment replacement.
- Needs to react to change productively and to undertake other tasks as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem-Solving Skills: Ability to work outdoors and indoors within cramped or confined spaces and under minimal supervision, noticing when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. Able to use logical thinking to draw conclusions and determine the strengths and weaknesses of those.
- Business Acumen: Ability to learn from mistakes, being creative when solving new issues and take on new responsibilities. Ability to demonstrate safety leadership through applied behaviour, recognizing the costs and benefits of a possible action. Ability to imagine how things would work and look if rearranged and identify hidden patterns to determine possible issues.
- Clear Communication: Ability to refuse an unsafe act, understand specific requirements spoken in industry related jargon, relate information so others can understand, listen to others and ask questions to seek clarification.
- Friendly Attitude: Ability to interact in an industrial work site, performing as part of a team at a specific task level, while having a customer service mind set.
- Organizational Skills: Remaining organized while dealing with several requests at the same time and with short notice to solve the issues. Ensuring balancing responsibilities, duties, and self-care.
- Technical Skills: * Ability to operate, control and repair equipment related to the marine industry, judging what is needed and when is needed, evaluating the quality of products and work. Ability to write reports, using industry related software as well as regular office platforms such as MS Office.
And possess the following minimum requirements:
- High school diploma plus a trade or certificate as a Heavy-Duty Mechanic or Millwright Certificate with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of hands-on mechanical maintenance and repair experience, preferably with tugs or marine vessels.
- Mechanical, hydraulics, and electrical trades skills.
- Knowledge of vessel operations and requirement of the towing industry preferred: Mechanics with experience in mining, plants or grain terminals tend to be a good fit for our industry as well.
- Marine engineer experience (4th Class or Higher) would be an asset.
- Knowledge of steel working and welding will be an asset.
- The incumbent must be physically fit and psychologically comfortable entering and working in confined, cramped spaces.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills (MS Office).
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Fork-lift certification
- Availability to travel to our different locations to provide assistance when needed.
With the backing of a multinational corporation, SAAM's mission to drive the economic and social development of countries extend to the desire to provide our workforce with real growth opportunities and contributing to the regional economical sustainability by providing quality jobs within remote and local communities.
Our employees enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent extended health, and dental services; group life, AD & D, Short & Long-term disability; great matching contribution to our pension plan, performance rewards; mentorship and a team ready to work with you! Our operations are in a central location, with an easy commute from most places in Metro Vancouver.
Our vision is to stand out as ONE team, delivering towage services beyond expectations and we guide ourselves from 5 pillars which create our competitiveness and success: Respect, Honesty, Responsibility, Safety and Service.
If these values resonate with you, we encourage you to apply and let us know a bit more about your commitment to excellence and your passion for achieving high standards while being rewarded with a culture that encourages learning, development, camaraderie, and innovation.
We would like to thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
SAAM Towage Canada acknowledges we operate in the Traditional, unceded territories of the Coast Salish people and in particular, the traditional territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Reference ID: 100
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $40.44 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
We are following Provincial Health Guidelines and being a federally regulated industry we are following all mandates coming from the federal government.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
- mechanical maintenance and repairs with marine vessels: 2 years (preferred)
- hands-on mechanical maintenance and repairs: 2 years (preferred)
- English fluently (preferred)
- Heavy-Duty Mechanic or Millwright Certificate (preferred)