The Ontario Hazelnut Association (“OHA”) is looking for a responsible and enthusiastic summer employee for work on a hazelnut research farm within Southern Ontario, with the possibility of travel.
The OHA is a volunteer based industry association comprised of Farmers, Researchers, Processors and Nurseries. The Ontario Hazelnut Association promotes the development, sale and export of Ontario hazelnut products and provides educational opportunities and networking events to help enhance the hazelnut industry in Ontario.
The Research Support Officer will provide critical support to the development of the hazelnut industry in Ontario. This role will involve both infield work, analytical aspects and participation on the OHA’s Research Committee. The role is intended to be a full time role, for 30 hours per week over a 9 -16 week period in the summer, with the opportunity for extension into the fall.
The Research Support Officer will be responsible for:
- Collection of sensor, measured and observed data
- Processing, evaluation and interpretation of data for analysis of trends
- Preparation of draft reports, compiling records, preparing spreadsheets
- Development of educational material for the OHA and the overall industry
- Orchard management/preparation ie. field layout & marking, tree pruning, staking, sucker control & management, ground cover management, windbreaks
- Supporting the preparation of planting events, coordinating planting team, planting, maintaining, irrigating, watering and caring for the Hazelnut trees
- Recording data related to: weather, tree conditions, tree measurements, pest scouting, blight and disease scouting
- Preparing and assisting with farm events to educate farmers and public about hazelnut farming
Experience & Skills Required
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated ability to:
- Proven research and analytical skills including the ability to organize and interpret complex issues in a manner that provides recommendations
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team
- Pay attention to detail and demonstrate thoroughness in their work
- Ability to manage and prioritize as project demands shift
- A clear, concise writing style that conveys facts and interpretation
- Strong range of interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
Ideally, the Research Support Officer will:
- Have experience in outdoor projects such as agriculture, lawn care, construction etc.
- Have an educational interest in horticulture, agriculture, sciences or business
- Possess a valid Ontario drivers licence with access to their own vehicle
- Have a willingness to travel within Southern Ontario
The following educational credentials will be considered an asset but are not required:
- University degree in horticulture, crop or plant science
- Experience or education in general sciences
- Mathematics, engineering or technology background
We thank all applicants interested in this role however, only those who meet the above requirements and are Canadian Citizens between the ages of 15 - 30 will be contacted. To apply to this position, please contact Shelby Miller via email: contact@ ontariohazelnuts.com with your resume and CV attached, as well as ‘CSJ Application - Uxbridge’ in the heading of the email.
* The Ontario Hazelnut Association is an inclusive work environment that hires employees regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation and religious views. This is a Canada Summer Job grant role, so the individual must be between 15-30 and a Canadian Citizen. The Ontario Hazelnut Association will ensure that its hiring team is comprised of non-discriminatory individuals and will take additional intervention if we find anyone representing the OntarioHazelnut Association has discriminatory values. *
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $15.00 /hour