Interpreter Services Toronto (IST), the Employment Social Enterprise of Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic, is seeking freelance, over-the-phone Mandarin interpreters to support the Remote Interpretation Ontario (R.I.O) Network.
Remote Interpretation Ontario Network provides high quality, immediate over-the-phone (OPI) interpretation using trained and qualified interpreters in more than 180 languages, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Remote Interpretation Ontario Network is a collaborative call centre model shared by other non-profit community interpretation agencies in the province to provide an affordable local and regional alternative to on-demand immediate phone interpretation.
Provide high-quality language interpretation over the phone for clients based in a variety of sectors, including legal, social services, health care and corporate.
- Fluency and proficiency in English and Mandarin is a must
- Successful completion of interpreter core competency training from a recognized institution (as per those listed on http://www.occi.ca/community-training-programs or http://www.occi.ca/trainers-and-testers)
- Post-secondary credentials or equivalent
- Successful completion of the Interpreter Language & Skills Assessment Tool (ILSAT) or Community Interpreter Language and Interpreting Skills Assessment Tool (CILISAT) test
- Successful completion of medical terminology course (see list of recognized courses at https://www.occi.ca/occi-accreditation-framework-details (See 3.0 Note #6)
- A minimum of two years’ experience of interpreting in community/ health care/ legal settings
- Experience and familiarity with social services, legal, medical and violence against women sectors
- Familiarity with the Ontario Justice system
- Understanding of the domestic violence courts processes and systems
- Awareness of the Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Care Centre (SA/DVCC)
- Knowledge of gender-based violence and the law
- Knowledge of anti-oppression practices
- Solid life, work and business skills
- Consecutive interpreting experience
- Experience in a telephone environment
- Customer service experience
- Versatility and flexibility to unique situations and circumstances
- Willingness to learn
- Understanding of cultural sensitivities and individuals who may be in emotional distress
- Must own a computer or laptop with a stable internet connection
- Must have a dedicated landline for R.I.O. calls only
- Typing speed of at least 40 wpm with zero errors
- Must possess basic troubleshooting and technical skills
BENEFITS OF WORKING FOR INTERPRETER SERVICES TORONTO
In addition to having the flexibility of working part-time and from home, you will be making a difference in the lives of clients by helping them to overcome language barriers and have access to services. You are also working for an organization that supports survivors of gender-based violence and provides them with programs and services such as education, professional development, and community development reform initiatives. Our profits go towards subsidized professional interpreter training for immigrant/ refugee women.
DEADLINE FOR RESUMES: Open until a suitable candidate(s) is hired.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and current certifications by email in ONE attachment as a PDF or Word Document with the subject line:
Hiring Committee (R.I.O. Mandarin Interpreter).
Please indicate in your response where you saw the job posting.
Job Type: Freelance
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We thank all candidates for their interest. However, we will only contact those applicants selected for an interview.
Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic promotes the principles of anti-oppression and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women of all races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. We welcome people with disabilities and will accommodate your needs in our services, in the hiring process, and as staff.
Job Type: Contract
- Mandarin (Required)