HowToSpeakEnglish.com is a Canadian startup, and we offer English language training as a service, via online conversation classes.
We are currently looking for an English teacher intern who is studying Teaching English as a Foreign Language (or a related field) to help our clients. Your mission will be to teach students, and develop teaching materials. As a startup, your ideas can have a big impact on the future of our company.
**Note: You must be part of a college or university program that has an internship option, and this internship can only be granted if it satisfies a part of your program. The internship offers college/university credit.**
This is a fully remote, online internship. There may be 1 or 2 face-to-face meetings for training purposes, but in general, you'll be working remotely and setting your own schedule.
In this job, your day to day activities will include:
- conducting conversation classes with English learners around the world
- using pre-made teaching materials for the class as per the student(s) level and desired topic
- making your own teacing materials if desired and/or necessary
- conversing with English learners via webcam, and making corrections
- completing detailed feedback after each class, and writing corrections
- (optionally) promoting the service through word of mouth via your own social media or contacts - there are referral bonuses
- You must be part of a college or university program that has an internship option, and this internship can only be granted if it satisfies a part of your program. The internship offers college/university credit.
- Other qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral English skills. A TEFL/TESOL certificate would be an asset, but not required.
- Being fluent in a foreign language would be considered an asset (but not necessary) - particularly Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, Korean, Portuguese, German, Mandarin, or Japanese
Pay and hours
- The hours are flexible, depending on your internship program's needs.
- The internship is unpaid but referral bonuses are provided for new student you refer that signs up with us
- You can set your own hours for each upcoming week. We're a new company so it will be part time and students may be sparse to begin. For example, if you indicate you are available to teach from Monday to Friday 6pm to 8pm, there is no guarantee regarding how many students you will receive, but we will try our best
- Working from home is required as this is a remote position. You must have a device that is webcam-enabled in order to conduct classes via Skype and our AdobeMeetings software.
When applying, please include:
- Why are you interested in this position?
- Are you comfortable that this position is an unpaid position?
- Are you fluent in any foreign languages? (an asset but not required)
- Are you part of a college or university program that requires completion of an internship?
Job Type: Part-time
- teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Portuguese (Preferred)
- French (Preferred)
- Russian (Preferred)
- Korean (Preferred)
- German (Preferred)
- Italian (Preferred)
- Mandarin (Preferred)
- Japanese (Preferred)