Job title :
SURGICAL BOOKING CLERK
KELOWNA GENERAL HOSPITAL
Kelowna General Hospital is looking for a Casual Surgical Booking Clerk to join their team! Apply today!
When you apply, please ensure you include the following documentation for your application to be considered:
- A current Typing Test 45 wpm or greater completed within past 48 months from a recognized institution, (ON-LINE TESTS NOT ACCEPTED);
- Proof of completion of a Medical Terminology Course;
- Your Resume indicating three year’s recent related experience, Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- A Cover Letter stating your availability to start in a new position and on-call, casual work (i.e. days of the week);
- Certificates/Diplomas/Transcripts must be from accredited Schools/Colleges/Universities.
The Surgical Booking Clerk plays a significant role in ensuring that the overall surgical booking requirements are met. Applies critical thinking and uses current knowledge of procedure protocols and computerized systems to schedule and assign patients/procedures to the daily surgical bookings. Duties may include:
Hours of work:
- Receives and processes requests for surgical procedures and coordinates with physicians and their offices;
- Develops and updates surgical waitlists and slates using computerized surgical scheduling systems - PICIS OR Manager, Surgical Patient Registry (SPR), Community Wide Scheduling (CWS), etc.;
- Edits surgical slate - identifying errors or conflicts, assigning extra cases, adjusting slate, confirms final booking assignments with designated personnel;
- Communicates and collaborates with Admitting, Medical Device Reprocessing, nursing units, anesthetists, surgeons and other departments;
- Instructs patients/family of pre-operative instructions for the surgical procedures, pre admission clinic visits and other appointments;
- Compiles, maintains and distributes designated surgical usage/surgical statistical data;
- Generates a variety of reports relating to surgical bookings and waitlists;
- Clerical duties;
- Performs site/department specific duties - inputting patient data and transcribing information into relevant systems; acting as a communication link for the unit; arranging for patient tests, entering diagnostic requisitions, and receiving results; assembling and maintaining patient charts; maintaining unit supply levels.
Monday to Friday – 07:30 to 15:30
This is a Casual opportunity. Casual means there are no guaranteed hours and work requirements can vary from 0 - 37.5 hours per week.
Education, Training and Experience:
Skills and Abilities:
- Grade 12,
- Three year’s recent related experience, Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Completion of a Typing Test 45 wpm or greater, dated within the past 48 months and must be issued from a valid institution only. (ON-LINE TESTS NOT ACCEPTED)
Ability to keyboard at 45 wpm.
Knowledge of medical terminology.
Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Ability to deal with others effectively.
Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Ability to organize work.
Ability to operate related equipment.
**ONLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.**