A career at the Arthritis Society is more than just a job. It’s an opportunity to use your talents to make a difference in the lives of people affected by arthritis. Our new strategic plan, Accelerating Impact, conveys a vision for growth as we work to meet the needs of increasing numbers of people (six million Canadians of all ages) impacted by this devastating disease. In addition to work that has a positive impact, you will be joining an organization that embraces innovation and is committed to being a great place to work. We are an energizing corporate culture, constantly learning, rigorously measuring our work, and building on our achievements to reach more people nationwide. Our people are essential to this success and we will empower you to be successful in your role. The Arthritis Society is proud to be accredited under Imagine Canada’s Standards Program.
Reporting to the Community Engagement Coordinator, Newfoundland & Labrador, the Outreach Assistant will provide leadership, organizational, evaluation, program design and administrative support for our community based programs and events including (but not limited to) conferences, symposiums, public forums, community events, and planning for Arthritis Awareness Month in September.
Key accountabilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Support and promote the mission, vision, objectives and programs of the Arthritis Society
- Assist with the Arthritis Society’s established community programs
- Assist with program evaluation
- Assist in the recruitment and training volunteers for programs and events
- Assist with the research and development of new programs and events
- Assist with the scheduling of events
- Perform community outreach responsibilities as required
- Represent the Arthritis Society and its mandate to external groups, organizations, community events etc.
- Additional duties as required
Required Skills & Experience:
The ideal candidate is currently completing a degree or diploma in a relevant discipline, having completed their degree or diploma or are returning to full-time studies in the fall of 2019. The ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter with strong team, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Experience with event planning and related skills are considered an asset.
- Should have excellent oral and written communication skills, work cooperatively and effectively with others, undertake self-directed tasks when necessary, exhibit excellent time management skills and possess exceptional attention to detail
- Must be proficient in MS Office and other related computer skills
- Experience with community programs, resources, or initiatives is considered an asset
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Please note that this is an eight (8) week summer position, tentatively commencing July 2nd, with the potential for negotiable start and end dates to accommodate a successful applicant’s schedule (contract must end by August 30, 2019). The successful candidate will be required to work thirty-five (35) hours per week between Monday and Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
We are proud to be an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce, and welcome and encourage applications from qualified and talented candidates who embrace our core values. We focus on recruiting for both talent and alignment with our core values and look for candidates who are interested in growth and learning, and who embrace new and smarter ways of working. If you are interested in, and qualified for, this exciting opportunity, please submit a cover letter and résumé by June 14, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their expression of interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
You are encouraged to visit our official careers site at www.arthritis.ca/careerswhere you can view all our current job opportunities across Canada and learn more about why you should join our team!
Job Type: Contract