POSITION: OUTREACH COUNSELLOR
Contract Position ending March 31, 2024
Posted: April 15, 2019 Closing Date: April 30, 2019
Nova House is an emergency and transitional shelter for women and children experiencing domestic and or family violence located in Selkirk, Manitoba. Offering 24-hour, 7 day a week accommodation to help support and empower women to live free from abusive. We strive to promote expression of feeling and build self-esteem and confidence by providing individual counselling, educational and support groups and workshops.
Although our literature and website speaks to and focuses on "women and children," Nova House strives to include individuals of all genders.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The OUTREACH COUNSELLOR works proactively with new and existing clients, designing and facilitating programming in a non-judgmental and culturally appropriate manner, helping clients to build new skills and achieve their goals. The Outreach Counsellor is expected to carry out appropriate record keeping functions including case notes, and data collection; and provide ongoing contact and support for program participants. The Outreach Counsellor will develop and deliver community education through workshop facilitation, presentations in the community and through individual and family support. The Outreach Counsellor is responsible for developing Collaborative Agency Partnerships in the Selkirk and Interlake communities and to maintain these relationships.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
Respect, Collaboration, Integrity, Effective Communication, Patience and Perseverance, Reasoning and Decision Making, Motivation and Initiative
HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED:
- Degree or Certificate in a related discipline, or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Optimally, two years’ experience in a related role; must have some experience specific to Outreach work
- Valid Drivers License and acceptable drivers abstract
- Reliable vehicle with up to date insurance
- Current CPR, Emergency First Aid, and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate.
- Clear Criminal Record and Adult/Child abuse registry check.
- Specialized experience and knowledge in working with abused women and children.
- Awareness and understanding of issues pertaining to violence and abuse, particularly to the cycle of abuse and the profile of an abuser
- Awareness and understanding of domestic violence, PTSD, addictions and mental health.
- Understanding of homelessness and the role it plays in the families we work with
- Experience with counselling particularly crisis counselling and related short and long-term counselling skills, group counselling and follow-up client work.
- Demonstrated ability to provide appropriate assessment
- Demonstrated organizational skills, community liaison, advocacy and public relations skills.
- Demonstrated language, writing, comprehension skills
- Demonstrated cultural competence and experience working in the Indigenous community with a commitment to the strengths and values of Indigenous knowledge and traditional healing practices
- Knowledge of available community resources in the Selkirk/Interlake regions
- Highly developed and demonstrated communication skills with clients, co-workers, peers, volunteers and supervisors.
- Ability to handle a high demand of highway driving year round
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position (lifting, cleaning, highway driving)
- Clear understanding of confidentiality and boundary management (completion of PHIA training an asset)
** Security clearance checks, drivers abstract, and vehicle insurance are conditions of employment and the financial responsibility of the candidate
HERE IS WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
Benefits including Health and Dental * Long-Term Disability * Life Insurance * Group Pension Plan * Free on-site parking * Mileage reimbursement for work related travel * Employee appreciation and recognition * An Awesome Team to work with!
While we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- substance abuse counseling: 1 year (Preferred)