Machine Operators (Forestry) - Full-Time Positions
Prince Albert, SK (and surrounding area)
- Processor Operators
- Skidder Operators
- Buncher Operators
Founded in 1989, CanWel is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CWX, and is Canada’s only fully integrated national distributor in the building materials and related products sector.
CanWel operates multiple treating plants and planing facilities in Canada and the United States, and operates distribution centres coast to coast in all major cities and strategic locations across Canada, and near San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. CanWel distributes a wide range of building materials, lumber, and renovation products. In addition, through its CanWel Fibre division, CanWel operates a vertically-integrated forest products company based in Western Canada, operating from British Columbia to Saskatchewan, also servicing the US Pacific Northwest. CanWel owns approximately 136,000 acres of private timberlands, strategic Crown licenses and tenures, log harvesting and trucking operations, several post and pole peeling facilities, and two pressure-treated specialty wood production plants.
Reporting to the Shift Supervisor, Forestry Equipment Operators will work in the Prince Albert, Saskatchewan and surrounding areas. Operators should have the physical strength and stamina required to perform all of the required job duties and responsibilities.
- Inspect equipment for safety prior to use and perform required basic maintenance tasks including checking oil, fluids, coolant, etc.
- Perform all pre-operational start-up and shut-down checks
- Operate equipment in a logging environment, which may include operating equipment with accessories such as bulldozer blades, grapples and cables
- Operate equipment to skid, load, unload or stack logs, pull stumps, clear bush or cut trees or logs
- Drag or transport logs from felling sites to log landing areas for processing and loading
- Manoeuver machines and controls with precision
- Perform routine maintenance of machine by removing sticks, branches and other debris
- Perform regular maintenance including fluid top up, re-fueling, greasing, checking for potential safety issues including inspecting chains
- Assist field mechanics with minor repairs of equipment
- Complete time sheets, checklists and recordkeeping accurately and within deadlines
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- A safety conscious attitude
- Good hand eye coordination and ability to maintain concentration and focus for long periods
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds or 23 kilograms
- Bending, lifting, and reaching during course of shift
- Must be able to speak, read, and write English
- Must be able to wear hand, eye and ear protection as required
- Experience working in wood processing or lumber yard is desirable
- Must be flexible to accommodate operational and scheduling requirements
- Must be able to tolerate working in outdoor conditions year round
- Work site will be hot in the summer and can be extremely cold during the winter
- Work site can often be noisy and dusty
- Must be able to tolerate sitting for long periods of time while operating a machine
- May work around machinery with blades or other hazards
- High school graduation or equivalent desired
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
- Must have own steel-toed boots
- Candidates will need their own transportation to travel to and from the work site. No public transportation available to the work area.
CanWel welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
We thank you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- wood processing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Machine Operator: 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)