WHO WE ARE:
York Railroad Construction Inc. is a full-service contractor for the railway industry. Our mission is to deliver safe, cutting-edge and environmentally sustainable maintenance and construction services to railway track owners and operators across Canada.
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO PASS A DETAILED BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG/ALCOHOL SCREENING IN ORDER TO ACQUIRE CLEARANCE FOR ACCESS TO RAILWAY WORK SITES.
- Valid Driver’s License
- First Aid/CPR courses considered an asset
- CROR certification considered an asset
These positions require travel 100% of the time throughout Western Canada for extended periods of time. Railway work is VERY physically demanding and will require working in all types of weather conditions and climate.
You will be working in a team environment building and maintaining railways in numerous locations across Western Canada. You must be able to operate various hand-held tools, small equipment and handle hazardous materials.
Successful candidates will be leading a team in their operation(s) towards their assigned projects. Foreman/Lead Hands will be responsible for ensuring their safety, planning, management, progress and overall performance of their dedicated team.
- Be responsible for their team; leading, planning, performing, managing and overall operations of team
- Ensuring safety is a priority to yourself, fellow team members, the general public and the assets of the company by following pre-set policies and procedures
- Manage day-to-day issues, achievements, safety, performance and contributions for members within your team
- Working with Management to plan, prepare and delegate task according to assigned duties
- Daily walk around inspection of machines, general housekeeping of machines and minor repairs when required to ensure safe operation
- Compliance with track rules and instructions according to CROR
- Communicate effectively
- Meet productivity level requirements set out by Supervisors/Management
- Filling out required paperwork in a neat and accurate manner and adhering to submission deadlines
- Various loading and unloading of materials such as tools and equipment (spikes, tie plates, joint bars, etc.) to and from various vehicles and machines.
- Shoveling rocks and dirt for manual grading of surfaces and clearing ballasts
- Clearing railway crossings of brush and tall grass using hand-held tools and equipment
- Removal of tie plates from the rail
- Snow removal from crossings and right of ways using shovels, backpack blowers, brooms, etc.
- Driving of company vehicles in a responsible, respectful and safe manner
- Other duties as assigned
Successful candidates for these roles will demonstrate the following:
- 3 Years of Rail Construction Experience at minimum
- 1 Year of Foreman/Lead Hand of Rail Construction Experience at minimum
- 1 Year of Heavy Construction Machinery Experience
- Ability to operate required tools and equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Knowledge of workplace safety as well as safe lifting and handling procedures
- Effective communication skills including speaking, writing and listening
- Effective team player
- Fluent in reading, writing and understanding the English language
- Be respectful and courteous to others, pose cultural awareness of others and demonstrate strong and positive work ethics.
- Physically capable of repetitive bending, standing for long periods of time, lifting/carrying 50 lbs. unassisted, repetitive swinging motions and walking on uneven surfaces (approximately 3 miles per day).
- Ability to work in the elements across all weather conditions (summer heat, rain, dusty conditions, winter cold etc.)
- Willingness to work with hazardous materials such as creosote, lubricants, oil, gasoline and diesel fuel safely
- Ability to be exposed to continuous and regular loud noises
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $32.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Describe your experience in Rail Construction (Class 1, LRT, Etc.).
- Describe your experience as a Foreman/Lead Hand in Rail Construction.
- What Heavy Rail Machinery do you have experience with?
- Railroad Construction: 3 years (preferred)
- Railroad Foreman: 1 year (preferred)
- Rail Construction Machinery: 1 year (preferred)
- Class 5 Licence (preferred)
Work Location: On the road